6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 10:11 AM by chaldz

How to determine monitors not within an Alert

chaldz

I have created several Alerts each containing different monitors.  Reason being is each alert is setup for a different email recipient with monitors only they want to be alerted on.  What I need to know is if I'm looking at Alert 1, how can I determine what monitors are not added?

-Charles S

• Re: How to determine monitors not within an Alert
          SRegan

Open the Alert in question and look down at the section called "Groups and Monitors to Alert for"  Look for your Monitor in that list,  if the monitor appears in that list,  then it is tied to that alert.   Additionally,  a Monitor part of a Device or a Group which appears in that list,  then any of those monitors will also trigger that specific alert.   If you see a device or a group listed you can quickly check to see what monitors belong to it by clicking on it and drilling down inside to see what is included.

I hope this helps.

chaldz

This won't work as I do not add by groups or devices, I add by monitors. 

I need a way to determine if any of my 800 monitors are not in an alert.  I really don't want to check one by one.

-Charles S

SRegan

If you are wanting to tie every monitor that you have to this single alert,  the easist way to do this is to start by removing all of the monitors that are currently listed under that alert.  Next, with no monitors listed there, click on "add monitors".    When the window opens to allow you to select the monitors you want, first make sure that you remove any of the "filters" for this view it should say "Filter: No Filter".  Next, in the the upper right-hand corner where you see the # of monitors displayed per page (default is "25")  Click the drop-down arrow and choose to show all monitors on one page.    After you have done these thing,  Put a check-mark in the very top check-box which will select every monitor.   Finally click on Continue at the bottom right corner of the page.   These steps will add every monitor to this single alert.   

chaldz

These are the steps I did when I originally configured my Alert.  However that was a few months ago and with other admins working with ipMonitor, I want to make sure that all monitors that have been configured since then were added to the alert as well.  Someone could have skipped the step of adding a monitor to the alert, how can I check?

I can't just delete all the alerts again and re-add because I have moved a few to other alerts.  

-Charles S

SRegan

The process which I described can be done in about 3 minutes time and doing so will guarantee that all monitors in your software are added to this single alert.   According to what you have stated,  it would seem that this is precisely what you are trying to do.   Just so you understand,  what I described does not involve deleting and re-adding any configured alerts, but rather the removal and re-adding of associations that your monitors have an existing alert.   This is a simple process that will not have any ill or otherwise unintended consequences if your intention is for every monitor to use the same alert.  

The only other logical alternative that I can think of (which actually amounts to little more an additional unneeded step) would be for you to create a new group, then  add all monitors to that group,  and lastly, add that group (and only that group) to the alert.

chaldz

Your process that you described is quick which is exactly why I originally setup my main alert this way. 

Here's my problem: I originally had 800 monitors in Alert1.  Then I created another alert called Alert2.  I moved 50 of the monitors from Alert1 to Alert2.  A few weeks later I created Alert3 and moved 50 more from Alert1 to Alert3.  2 months later 20 new monitors have been added to ipmonitor.  How do I know those 20 monitors have been added to any of the 3 alerts I have configured?  Because these 20 monitors were added by different Admins, I do not know the names of them all so I cannot search individually on them.  If I go back through and re-add all monitors to Alert1, I will then have to remove the monitors that exist in Alert2 and Alert3.  What would be great is if I could get a list of all monitors not assigned to an alert.  Any way to do this?

-Charles S