3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 6:48 AM by bleearg13

    Monitor Exchange in differnt domain

    jwashburn

      I am trying to get Exchange Monitoring setup.  I have no problems reading the drive space, services, etc but that is using SNMP.  With Exhange it needs to use WMI.

      No matter what credential I try and setup I keep getting service context does not have the necessary privileges to impersonate.

       

      I have tried domain\username with the domain being the domain the exchange server is in.  I have tried setting up a local accout on the exchange box and using usernam and .\username.  No luck on either.


      Any ideas?

        • Re: Monitor Exchange in differnt domain
          Yann

          Did you try using the wbemtest utility and/or WMI Explorer locally on the exchange server and then remotely from the Solarwinds server?

          If the credentials do not work locally then there is no chance it could work remotely.

          Here is a WMI troubleshooting guide that might help you as well. It shows the steps to use the wbemtest utility.

          http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/APMWMITroubleshooting.pdf

          Let us know how it goes.

          Yann

            • Re: Monitor Exchange in differnt domain
              jwashburn

              Thanks for the links to the tools.  I didnt know that existed.

               

              I am able to connect using wbemtest.exe from both the Exchange server AND the IPMonitor server.  However IPMonitor still gets the error.

                • Re: Monitor Exchange in differnt domain
                  bleearg13

                  Not sure if this will work for you, but the solution to a similar problem in our network was to create a local account on the ipMonitor server *and* a local account on the remote server, both with the same name and password.  For instance:

                  ipMonitor Server Account:  IPMON\ipMonExchange
                  Exchange Server Account:  EXCHANGE\ipMonExchange

                  Assign the proper permissions to the EXCHANGE\ipMonExchange account and it should work.  Our ipMonitor server is in one domain and most all the servers we monitor services on are in another domain and this seems to work for us.  It's a kludge-y workaround, but it works.