This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Customize polling

Dear all,

Does anyone have the similar need or work on customize OID polling??
I was asked to first polling on a customize OID, say, freeMem, then need to make some alert threshold on that.
I can make it to show a summary chart (attachment image.jpg right bottom corner) on the Orion Webpage by using Universal Device Poller (attachment image.jpg), the first question is that is it classified as a customize OID polling?

If so, the question followed is that, how can I configure alert threshold? I cannot find any property is about freeMem, so I cannot configure the alert threshold to test about the alert on customize OID polling.

Is anyone need to do or already do the similar job?
Thank you for sharing valuable experience on this issue, thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Jason

• For more or clear information, I would like to use the attachment for asking the question for the alert threshold part.

If anyone have experiences on this, please share with me, thank you very much.

As shown in the attachment, the icmpOutMsgs value will vary from 2 to 6 from time to time. I would like to know how can I set alert threshold for trigger alert when it is less than 3 and reset alert when it is greater than 2?

I cannot choose this item in the tab of "Property To Monitor" in the "Configure Alerts" inside "System Manager", how can I make a threshold for this polling?

Or is it not possible to make threshold for this item which is added by using "Universal Device Poller" and is selected during the "Browse MIB Tree".

• Hi Jasonyau,

You can use the advanced alerts to trigger UnDP.

This thread details how to setup a such alert.

As per what you detailed I would configure the trigger condition that way:

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

Poller Name is equal to UnDP_Name

Poller Status is less than 3

And the reset condition like this:

Poller Name is equal to UnDP_Name

Poller Status is greater than 2

HTH,

Yann

• Hi Yann,

Thanks a lot.
    But since I am new to Network Performance Monitoring, I have a question that what is UnDP_Name? Is it the "freeMem" in first attachment and the "icmpOutMsgs" in second attachment?

Or can I use the method mentioned in the link you given? I mean using

OID is equal to 1.3.6.1.4.X.X.X

Poller Status is less than 3

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    Jason

• Hi,

Is it the "freeMem" in first attachment and the "icmpOutMsgs" in second attachment?

Yes, exactly.

OID is equal to 1.3.6.1.4.X.X.X

I do not use the OID itself when I need to configure a custom Poller alert, I simply use the UnDP's name.

Here is how I would configure it for the icmpOutMsgs:

• Dear Yann

Thanks a lot~

I will try it tomorrow for setting the condition without OID, thanks.

May I know the reason not using OID?
    Is it not good because it may affect other property or else??

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience.

Best regards,
    Jason

• May I know the reason not using OID?

That just make it easier to read the alert when you need to troubleshoot it. You can compare that way of setting up alerts to DNS/IP addresses mapping.

Both values are from the CustomPollers table in the database. Using the OID or the name just affects the way the Adv. Alert wizard translates what you setup into the SQL Query that will run on the database.

Adv. Alerts are defined into the AlertDefinitions table if you wish to better understand the cogwheels.

HTH,

Yann

• Dear Yann,

I see. It will certainly easier to read the alert when it is showing the name but not the OID, haha.
    Thank you very much, I now know much more about that.

And I am now trying on configuration of the advanced alerts.
    Thanks for your help. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Jason