8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2009 5:40 AM by kahmeelyon

Unable to access Solarwinds Orion form Mobile 6.1

I ve been provided a new Sony Ericsson Xperia x1 - WinMobile 6.1 

I am able to browse the Orion webpage , the UID and password screen , but its not letting me to go in [UID and PWD are correct ] 

I am able to access the site via LAN.

Is there any settings or is there some updates which i need to do on my Mobile device .

Cheer 

Iyer 

• Re: Unable to access Solarwinds Orion form Mobile 6.1
          denny.lecompte

We don't support the Windows mobile browser.  Some mobile browsers work pretty well (e.g., Safari on the iphone), but Windows Mobile is too different from IE or anything else.

Load the Opera Mobile edition. That may work.

Lee

kahmeelyon

Load the Opera Mobile edition. That may work.

I just spent about two days trying to make this work on my Blackberry.  As it turns out, this will be a no go for most corporate users.  The way that Opera Mini works is that it communicates with a proxy hosted on the Internet.  This allows it to resize images and provide thumbnails of complete pages.  But if you are using a BES and your Orion instance is inside your corporate network, then obviously this will not work since the proxy will not be able to see it.

To me this is a major deficiency in an otherwise fantastic product.  How difficult would it be to provide a slimmed down UI which is compatible with mobile browsers??

denny.lecompte

How difficult would it be? 

It depends on the mobile browser.  If it's compliant with standards, it's easy.  So we already work with Safari on the iphone.  If it doesn't, and the browser RIM provides on the BB is a strange beast, then it's actually a non-trivial amount of work.  It's not that it's "difficult", but you'd have to go into every page in Orion (and there are lots of them) and find where it breaks and then add new code to make things work with the non-standard browser. 

We already do this with IE 6 (which has lots of quirks), so adding another browser is an option, but what do we give up to do it?  But a lot of people use (often because of corporate policy) IE 6, so we have to do it.  To add the BB browser, we would have to give up some other features because there's only so much time.  To date, this has been something that most users consider a "nice to have" rather than a "must have" and when we've done surveys and had conversations, the BB browser always gets shoved down the list in favor of other things (e.g. a new version of Map Maker).

So how important is this feature to you in terms of network management?  If you had 3 features you could definitely get into Orion, would this make the list?  It's great if it does; I'm just trying to gauge.

kahmeelyon

So how important is this feature to you in terms of network management?  If you had 3 features you could definitely get into Orion, would this make the list?  It's great if it does; I'm just trying to gauge.

Denny,

Thanks for getting back so quick.  Another option might be to write your own Java App to be installed on the mobile device.  In the long run, this may cause less support headaches for you.  Also, you could sell this as a separate product to fund its development.  Companies like AlarmPoint have done just that.

In answer to your question: for us this is a must have feature.  We do not run a 24x7 NOC so quick access to the status of the network is crucial for us.  I would put this at the top of my list.

denny.lecompte

Of course, that's another way to do it.  But writing a brand new app is not going to take less time. And it's not something we would sell separately. 

So does it have to be the BB?

denny.lecompte

And have you posted to RIM's forum to ask them to build a standard browser?  Because if they did that, it would just work?  Their latest--on the Bold and the Storm--is supposed to be better.  Have you tried those?

kahmeelyon

All,

Based on your feedback I decided to do a little more research into this problem and it may not be as widespread as I had thought.  If you intend to use the Blackberry browser then there are two or three issues that must be overcome:

1. Disable Windows Pass Through Authentication: The Blackberry browser chokes on this.  You must use Anonymous Access in IIS.  You must also setup local accounts in Orion.  I didn't want to sacrifice Windows Pass Through from the desktop so I setup a new webserver on port 81 of the same box and pointed it at the same directory.  I just changed the Directory Security.  Works fine.  This solution should work on all Blackberry models.

2. Use a "modern" Blackberry:  I tested with my Blackberry 8130 (Pearl) (version 4.5 firmware), a Curve and a Bold.  The Pearl was able to get to the authentication screen but once credentials were entered it looked like it was going to work but then just popped me back to the login screen.  Both the Curve and Bold worked great!  So now I need to try the Storm out but I'm sure it'll work.

3. Don't try Mini Opera: If your Orion instance is not Internet facing do not even bother with Mini Opera.  It uses an Internet based proxy.  So if your Orion box can't be access from the Internet, forget it.  I'm guess this will be the case for many Blackberry users who rely on a BES.

I hope this helps others who are struggling with this.