11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 4:01 PM by denny.lecompte

Best way to import 3000+ hosts ICMP only

mandg

I have a list of 3000+ hosts that mgmt wants to monitor via ICMP only (no snmp). I attempted this through Network Discovery using a seed file but suspect that I'd need snmp setup - in which case I can't do since these are old SCO UNIX systems.

Is there a better way?

(NPM 9.0slx)

• Re: Best way to import 3000+ hosts ICMP only
          mark wiggans

That is correct- the seedfile.txt method only works with SNMP enabled devices.

mandg

So then these 3000+ hosts will need to be added manually?

bleearg13

Not 100% sure, but if you shutdown the poller and do a manual insert into the database, this should work.  I know Orion has some issues with overwriting data written directly to the DB, but I think that happens only when all the Orion services are actually running.  ICMP nodes shouldn't need any inserts to other tables besides the Nodes table, I believe.  I'd test this out first on a non-production box if SW doesn't slap my suggestion down immediately.

mandg

Thanks, bleearg13- that's where my thinking started heading when I found that Network Discovery only works with snmp.

I went ahead and tried to add a row manually to the Nodes table and it seemed to work ok- but then when I tried to setup a custom Orion page and apply a view limitation, the preview of the page only threw back errors.

So then I added one of the 3000+ systems through the NPM 'Add Node' wizard, applied the same view limitation in Orion, and it worked. Thus, I'm afraid that there's more to it than manually adding the host(s) directly to the Nodes table.

Too bad there's no easy way to do this simple task. I would guess that adding 3000+ hosts through the 'Add Node' wizard will not be the best use of my time...

SLXer

I suggested this capability somewhere around the dawn of time. Its hard to have an application that can meet everyone's unique needs but this one is pretty straight forward. I was shocked when i first got involved with this product about 4 years ago and found I had to enter everything manually. It makes sense for getting started with Orion or just adding devices in general.

I cant say i loose sleep at night with visions of coming in to work with a corrupt database and a bad backup but i also cant say it doesn't cross my mind anytime i do a backup or somebody had has to do some work on the sql server.

mandg

Yes, this is a bit of surprise considering such a features simplicity (and usefulness).

A bit of irony for me now is that I had to fall back on a program we used for years here with success called HostMon, and mgmt decided to purchase SolarWinds to replace this because of the additional bells and whistles.  SW is a great product however its simple missing features like this that show its immaturity.

bleearg13

A bit of irony for me now is that I had to fall back on a program we used for years here with success called HostMon, and mgmt decided to purchase SolarWinds to replace this because of the additional bells and whistles.  SW is a great product however its simple missing features like this that show its immaturity.

I agree that ICMP-only nodes should at least have some way to be imported. 

Regarding the bells and whistles, though, Orion doesn't really offer that much in terms of bells and whistles for ICMP-only nodes.  You do get fancy graphs for response time, latency, and packet loss, but ipMonitor and Nagios can both do this.  Not sure about HostMon, though.

Network_Guru

I agree, this is a very basic function that should be part of any NPM software.
                                      This functionality is built-in to NCM. I just created an excel file with a list of IPs and imported them quite easily.

The issue with adding them to the DB manually stems from the structure of the nodes table and links to the other tables.
                                      At the bare minumum you need to have a NodeID and NodeName associated with each IP as well as Object Type (SNMP or ICMP).
                                      I believe there may be other discovered properties that must be populated for the manual node import to work, but you could try these to start.
                                      As always, backup your DB before making any changes.

YMMV

SLXer

If your going to create an import export option It seems to me it only makes sense to give the user the option to import x list of nodes and to use x snmp string when they are imported and added. And perhaps a checkbox for icmp only.

There is actually a lot of simple functionality that could be added to a little import/export wizard that could save a lot of time..typing.. having a name variable for instance..

This brings me to some other functionality considerations not directly related.. but in the same box in terms of functionality that would no doubt improve usability of the product.

I for one would give my left pinky toe to be able to right click a group of nodes in the left pane and have a drop down context menu giving me selected group options.. anything from.. unmanage... delete.. polling interval........ snmp string

I don't want to have to go into the database. It should be one stop shopping at the gui.. I bet we see this functionality before 2010. Its overdue. And if my prediction is correct I would like to keep my pinky toe.

:)

bleearg13

I am pretty sure that your pinky toe will be safe to use as a  bargaining tool for something else.  The System Manager, to the best of my knowledge, will see little to no improvement.  It's my understanding that the System Manager console is programmed in some old language and SW is really focusing on transitioning all that functionality to the web console.  I'm sure that SW will correct me if I'm wrong or something has changed.

denny.lecompte

I am pretty sure that your pinky toe will be safe to use as a  bargaining tool for something else.  The System Manager, to the best of my knowledge, will see little to no improvement.  It's my understanding that the System Manager console is programmed in some old language and SW is really focusing on transitioning all that functionality to the web console.  I'm sure that SW will correct me if I'm wrong or something has changed.

You said it.  Web Console rules.