3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 3:56 PM by floyd.may

Is there a way to restrict Summary chart data to certain time periods?

For instance, we do all our backups over the wire in the wee hours of the morning

When I go and take a look at the Summary Charts for "Current In/Out bps (Top 25)" , all the top statistics are for all the traffic that happened between 12am and 5am.....I want to be able to exclude data collected between lets say 9PM and 5am the next morning so I can see who's truly using all the bandwidth during business hours..

any suggestions?

thanx in advance!

/Blair

• Re: Is there a way to restrict Summary chart data to certain time periods?

The "Current In/Out bps" is showing the most recently polled value ("Current"), so the time period is irrelevant.

If you're wanting to get a more accurate breakdown of what's going on based on the values in that chart, I'd suggest monitoring the top interfaces via the NetFlow Realtime app (if it's a NetFlow-capable Cisco device).  It will give you a traffic breakdown that can help you narrow down what's chewing up your bandwidth.

i used a bad example.."Peak traffic load today (top 25)" is a better example...

/Blair

Ahh, I understand now.  There isn't a way to configure the time period for that particular chart (that I know of).  The quick-and-dirty workaround is to shut down NPM during off-hours and start it back up in the morning.  Another option would be to examine the individual interface traffic charts.

I know that both Orion and IPMonitor are better-suited for this type of task.  If neither of those are an option, you could set up some alerts in NPM for when bandwidth consumption gets out of hand.  You might also look at the Current Traffic view (View > Current Traffic).  If you're dealing with an unwieldy number of interfaces, you might be able to use this view to sort the interfaces by either traffic (bps) or percent utilization to get the information you need.