65 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 1:12 PM by DanielleH

New Year - Graph Bug

RSimmons

This might be a co-incidence but its just gone past midnight here, and I noticed that opening a custom chart isnt working. The error comments about an out of range exception - which seems likely to point to an issue with the New Year.

Anyone else found this?

Error:

Orion Website Error

An error has occurred with the Orion website.

Additional Information

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Year, Month, and Day parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.
         at System.DateTime.DateToTicks(Int32 year, Int32 month, Int32 day)
         at SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Charting.Periods.Parse(String& periodName, DateTime& periodBegin, DateTime& periodEnd, Int32& sampleSize, String& sampleName, Boolean& isCustom) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\OrionCommon\OrionWebAssembly\Charting\Periods.cs:line 305
         at SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Charting.Periods.Parse(String& periodName, DateTime& periodBegin, DateTime& periodEnd) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\OrionCommon\OrionWebAssembly\Charting\Periods.cs:line 419
         at TimePeriodControl.CheckTimePeriodValue(String TimePeriod, String SampleSize)
         at TimePeriodControl.GetTimeRelations()
         at TimePeriodControl.GetInitializeScript()
         at TimePeriodControl.TimePeriodControl_PreRender(Object sender, EventArgs e)
         at System.Web.UI.Control.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
         at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
         at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Cheers,

Dakaix

• Re: New Year - Graph Bug
          mdriskell

I have multiple solarwinds servers.  One one of them since midnight I am getting similar errors when I go into the node details for any device.  I even tried creating a new node details and I get the same results.

casey.schmit

Hey all, I'm taking a look at things.  I've managed to reproduce it, and I'm looking for a workaround.  I'll post here when I come up with something...

RSimmons

Hi Casey,

Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to a work around, and it seems as though your demo site is affected too!

Example Here

Cheers,

Dakaix

bleearg13

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.  Looking at "Last Month" timeframe is borking the server.  Had to look at the calendar, because I didn't think that it was 2038 just yet.

casey.schmit

It's definitely 'Last Month' that's causing the problem.  I have a code fix, but that doesn't help you all at this moment.  It may be possible to edit the 'ResourceProperties' table to use something different(like Last 30 days) so that at least your web pages will come back properly.  You'll still have a problem clicking on a chart or gauge until we can get the fix out.  I'm working on that too.  Seems like most of the other SolarWinds folks I need to talk to decided to sleep after celebrating New Years. :)

More info as I have it.  I appreciate the patience.

casey.schmit

Hey all.  An update.  Like I said before, the problem is with the 'Last Month' period that can be set on charts.  To temporarily get your site back up and running(until we have a code fix available), you'll need to update the ResourceProperties table.  The best way to do this(so that you can more easily go back and change them back) is to use the SolarWinds Database Manager tool.

Run the following query(giving yourself the ability to edit results):

select * from ResourceProperties where (PropertyName = 'Period' and PropertyValue LIKE 'Last Month');

Change the 'Last Month' values to 'Last 30 Days' and hit the Enter key.  As long as you don't run the initial query again(or shutdown the application), you should be able to change them all back to 'Last Month' just as easily.  I realize the 'Last Month' and 'Last 30 Days' are not the same, but hopefully it's sufficient for a bit.  

As I said before, you'll still have the error pop up if you click on a chart or gauge, but at least you'll be able to view most of your website...

When I have details on the permanent fix, I'll update the thread.

extraman

It happens on "Last 7 days" too.

RSimmons
                        Works like a charm!

Thanks for pulling out all the stops to get a fix out so quick!

Cheers,

Dakaix
                          greybirds2

Yes, We are getting the same error.  I opened a support case - hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Happy New Year!

greybirds2

After seeing the entire thread, applied the hotfix and it did correct the problem.  Glad the Dev team was able to bring in the New Year on a happy note.

Hi There Same here, any advise, other than download SP2 cause that is access denied?

copy of problem below:

Orion Website Error

Additional Information
                              System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Year, Month, and Day parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.
                                 at SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Charting.Periods.Parse(String& periodName, DateTime& periodBegin, DateTime& periodEnd, Int32& sampleSize, String& sampleName, Boolean& isCustom) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\OrionCommon\OrionWebAssembly\Charting\Periods.cs:line 305
                                 at SolarWinds.Orion.Web.Charting.Periods.Parse(String& periodName, DateTime& periodBegin, DateTime& periodEnd) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\OrionCommon\OrionWebAssembly\Charting\Periods.cs:line 419
                                 at Orion_ResourceWrapper.SetDrDownMenuParameters(String chartName, ResourceInfo resource, String prefix)
                                 at CustomNodeChart.OnInit(EventArgs e)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)
                                 at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child)
                                 at Orion_ResourceContainer.ResourcePlaceHolder_DataBind(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind()
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren()
                                 at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem)
                                 at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource)
                                 at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
                                 at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind()
                                 at Orion_ResourceContainer.DataBind()
                                 at Orion_NetPerfMon_NodeDetails.OnInit(EventArgs e)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
                                 at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any help out here??

robertcbrowning

Wonderful - Worked like a treat.

I'm still building my system & my first thought was that I'd done something seriously wrong.

I'm so grateful for the very fast fix.

Happy New Year.

Robert

acherman

Is there any fix for us bums that have not upgraded to 9.1 SP2 - we chose not to upgrade from 9.0 SP2 to 9.1 due to the undesired changes in the parent/child icons colors for down nodes etc. on maps.  Are we now forced to upgrade to 9.1 SP2 if we want this fixed??

We are also on 9.0.0 SP2, any update on this?

denny.lecompte

Is there any fix for us bums that have not upgraded to 9.1 SP2 - we chose not to upgrade from 9.0 SP2 to 9.1 due to the undesired changes in the parent/child icons colors for down nodes etc. on maps.  Are we now forced to upgrade to 9.1 SP2 if we want this fixed??

We provided the ability to show the parent/child rollup either new or old style.  That change was made in SP1.  So if that was your reason for not upgrading, then please upgrade.

acherman

Perfect!  Thanks Lenny, I will upgrade tonight.  Will the released SP2 have the fix, or should I download and install the fix after as well?

cfry

I opened a case with Solarwinds this morning before findhing this post.  They responded that this is a known issue with the New Year and told me that I need to be on v9.1 and that I need to install SP3.  Does anyone know of any known issues with installing SP3 that I should be aware of?

Thank you,

Christina

mayash@printpack.com

where do you get sp3? I don't see it online.

denny.lecompte

I deleted that hotfix because SP3 supersedes it.  You can get SP3 The specified item was not found..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      bleearg13

Lovely.  Open mouth, insert foot.  I will close my Thwack.com account now. :-)

mayash@printpack.com

No there is a sp3...I changed the link to sp2 and found it...Fixed my problem...But FYI I did get a scare when it wasn't responding after the upgrade until a full reboot..

cfry

Have there been any implementation issues with SP3?  Does anyone know where I could find the release notes for this release?  Thanks!

denny.lecompte

No issues.  The release notes are in the post, and they are also included in the download.

I applied this update to my polling server, no issues. When I installed on our web server [additional web server / web console or whatever its called these days ] the website is no longer functional, I get a login prompt, and then an error when the site tries to display my home page (network summary).I have a ticket open with support, but they're not there right now. It would be awesome to have this resolved before everyone gets into my work in the AM.

Thanks,

RV

See below for error:

Orion Website Error

Additional Information

System.ServiceModel.Security.MessageSecurityException: An unsecured or incorrectly secured fault was received from the other party. See the inner FaultException for the fault code and detail. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException: An error occurred when verifying security for the message.
                                                                         --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelFactory`1.SecurityRequestChannel.ProcessReply(Message reply, SecurityProtocolCorrelationState correlationState, TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelFactory`1.SecurityRequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionSecurityTokenProvider.DoOperation(SecuritySessionOperation operation, EndpointAddress target, Uri via, SecurityToken currentToken, TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionSecurityTokenProvider.GetTokenCore(TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.IdentityModel.Selectors.SecurityTokenProvider.GetToken(TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionClientSettings`1.ClientSecuritySessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open()

Exception rethrown at [0]:
                                                                         at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
                                                                         at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
                                                                         at System.ServiceModel.ICommunicationObject.Open()
                                                                         at SolarWinds.NPM.Common.NPMBusinessLayerProxy.Connect(String host, String port) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\Src\Lib\SolarWinds.NPM.Common\NPMBusinessLayerProxy.cs:line 263
                                                                         at SolarWinds.NPM.Common.NPMBusinessLayerProxy..ctor(String host, String port, HandleBusinessLayerException exceptionDelegate) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\Src\Lib\SolarWinds.NPM.Common\NPMBusinessLayerProxy.cs:line 214
                                                                         at SolarWinds.NPM.Common.NPMBusinessLayerProxy.TryToConnect(String host, String port, HandleBusinessLayerException exceptionHandler) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\Src\Lib\SolarWinds.NPM.Common\NPMBusinessLayerProxy.cs:line 192
                                                                         at SolarWinds.NPM.Common.NPMBusinessLayerProxy.CreateNPMBusinessLayerProxy(HandleBusinessLayerException exceptionHandler) in C:\Source\OrionNPM\DEV\Release\Orion\Core\9.1\Src\Lib\SolarWinds.NPM.Common\NPMBusinessLayerProxy.cs:line 161
                                                                         at CustomPollerSummaryStatus.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                                                         at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
                                                                         at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                                                         at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
                                                                         at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

levioy

Hi Folks,

Installing SP3 (direct from 9.1 no SP) did not resolve this issues for me,  neither did the work around (ie looking at the last months stats).  I am still get the error below whenever I try to look at a historical graph.

Orion Website Error

Additional Information

at TimePeriodControl.CheckTimePeriodValue(String TimePeriod, String SampleSize)
                                                                             at TimePeriodControl.GetTimeRelations()
                                                                             at TimePeriodControl.GetInitializeScript()
                                                                             at TimePeriodControl.TimePeriodControl_PreRender(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                                                             at System.Web.UI.Control.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

Would apprecaite some feedback soon as.

Many Thanks

Levi

bleearg13

I deleted that hotfix because SP3 supersedes it.  You can get SP3 The specified item was not found..

Is this SP available for the eval versions?  I'm in the middle of doing a complete re-install and I mistakenly ran SP3 on the eval server which caused it to die.  When starting certain services, it says "License check failed", or something to that effect.

SP3 did not fix the problem for me.

conf wiz fixed it

Ezeqiel

Install of SP3 failed from NPM 9.1 SP1 with the following error message:

Website configuration failed:   * Failure updating ASP.NET script maps

I had to exit out of the install wizard and manually restart the services that had stopped. From that point the web portal was unavailable.

It took a reboot of the server to bring the web portal back online. NPM now shows as SP3 installed, however the graph/chart bug still exists.

I've logged a support ticket (#75136) and sent my diagnostics logs but am still waiting on a response.

Anybody else receive the same error message during SP3 install? Or anyone have advice on my next step?

bshopp

If you haven't heard from Support yet, re-running SP3 would not be a bad idea.  Afterwards, you will get the configuration wizard again.

Hello there. I am new to this forum too. And I am encountering the same problem. We have already downloaded and applied the update to Orion 9.1 SP3 but I am still getting the error when trying to use the Custom Chart.

You have mentioned something about re-running the Configuration Wizard.  If i'll run the Configuration wizard, will it delete the current settings of my NPM system? Is it something like a fresh install again. I would appreciate any response because I need to make this thing work for billing matters.

Thanks in advance.

Ilovelinux

This link to SP3 is broken. Where can I get a copy?

Regards

bleearg13

SP2 is the latest Orion Service Pack.  There is one hotfix that I know of for SP2, which fixes the graph issue.

irelandt

This SP installed fine on the primary server, but seemed to install way too fast on the Hot standby server. After looking at the hot standby configuration the primary server shows SP3 installed however the Hot Standby is still reporting SP2.

Has anyone else seen this issue with SP3 yet, or have any ideas why it does not install on the Hot standby correctly?