4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 7:33 PM by Network_Guru

Orion V9.1 SP2 - bug or feature request?

Network_Guru

I am polling 3 separate Cisco ASA boxes with the UnDP and collecting the "crasNumUsers" to give me the number of connected VPN users.

I tried to graph the total number of connected users company wide by adding the 'Universal Device Poller Summary MIN/MAX Average chart' resource from the "Network Wide Summary Charts" group to my web page.

Sadly, this only returns the "crasNumUsers" from the first Cisco ASA, and not all three combined, as expected.
      Is this a bug, or by design?

On a similar note, I originally tried the UnDP Summary Chart from this resource group, but it only returned Average connected users - not the absolute number.
      In other words, I have 450 connected users, but this chart only shows an average of 225 connected users.
      To see the actual number, I have to use the Min/MAX Average chart and view the MAX.

Is there some way to get these charts to display absolute or "raw" data, summed up for all devices with the same UnDP OID description?

I just want a single graph that shows total VPN usage company wide.

• Re: Orion V9.1 SP2 - bug or feature request?
          casey.schmit

When charting pollers, it's specifically for the device, so you'll only see one at a time. 

For the summary chart, we do do an average, and there is a feature request in our system to give uses the ability to sum instead of just doing an average.

Network_Guru

When charting pollers, it's specifically for the device, so you'll only see one at a time. 

For the summary chart, we do do an average, and there is a feature request in our system to give uses the ability to sum instead of just doing an average.

Thanks Casey.

However I am not charting a specific device (node), but rather a specific UnDP poller.
              My assumption is that using the Network Wide Summary resource, the chart should show the combined average and Min/Max of all nodes which are collecting data for this specific UnDP poller?
              At least that's how this resource works for Network Wide Latency, Utilization, Bytes, etc.

casey.schmit

I just took a look at the UnDP summary charts, and here's the behavior:

The summary chart just shows an average.  The min/max/avg shows the avg value, as well as showing the min and max values for all pollers.  So if you have one poller assigned to 10 nodes returning the values 1-10, 1 will always be your min and 10 will always be your max and you'll have a line sitting at 5.5.

I think what you're looking for would for the same poller on the same nodes returning the same values, you'd have the "line" sitting at 55.  Where would min and max be on that chart though?

Network_Guru

Here's an example of what I think this chart should do.

VPN box 1 has 20 users connected
                      VPN box 2 has 30 users connected
                      VPN box 3 has 40 users connected

I should see a summary chart with a max of 90 users connected.
                      But I only ever see the max of 20 users connected on VPN box 1.
                      I'm using the same UnDP poller for all 3 boxes, so the summary chart should summarize all 3 results into a single chart.

Here's an example of a single poller and a summary chart of only this one poller
                      (I am only polling a single node with this specific UnDP poller):

I can live with the chart above as I am only polling a single node with this poller.
                      But here I am polling 3 nodes with the same poller:

The summary chart should show 86 users connected but:

This summary chart looks the same as the chart for the first node I am polling:

I beleive the name of the resource "Network Wide Summary Charts" means the chart should summarize(average) whatever property is selected across all nodes with this property and display the average on the chart. If this did indeed work as designed, then I should see the total of all 3 pollers in the MAX value of the chart.

Please correct me if this is not the intended design of the Network Wide Summary charts.
                      I can submit a ticket for this if required.
                      Otherwise I can submit a feature request for this.

We have other UnDP pollers which require this functionality.

Example - 2 Cisco Voice Gateway routers with 2 T1s each.
                      I'm currently polling them for DS0's in use.
                      I'd like to be able to have a summary chart for total DS0 usage across both routers in a single site.

Thanks for looking into this Casey.