4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 12:52 PM by floyd.may

Engineer's Toolset and mysql

sjoyce

Has anyone used or know if the Engineer's Toolset will work with mysql? 

Thanks Mucho!!!

• Re: Engineer's Toolset and mysql
          mark wiggans

Unfortunately not at this time.

Can you describe what you're wanting to do with the Toolset and MySQL?

sjoyce

Floyd, I work for a local county government.  As you can imagine our budget constraints are really tight!  Thus, we can not upgrade to Orion nor can we afford a SQL Server.  So, the question was posed “can we run the Engineer’s Toolset against MySql”?  The 2 GB limit on Access is being a pain. 

Thanks Mucho!

I'm guessing you're referring to NPM?  If so, there are a few things you can do to help keep the size of your database down:

1. Keep your data around for less time.  The default is 365 days.  Modify data retention settings at File > Network Performance Monitor Settings > "Database" tab
                    2. Summarize your data sooner; same location as the data retention settings.
                    3. You can poll less frequently.  Adjust your polling settings at File > Network Performance Monitor Settings > "Polling" tab.

Also, you might look at IPMonitor as a more long-term solution.  I understand what it's like to try stretching a budget - I've worked in government.  IPMonitor is more of an entry-level product than Orion, and is priced more comfortably for a smaller organization with a tighter budget.  I just spoke with one of our sales guys, and he says that you can get an IPMonitor license for 5000 monitors for $1995 (just recently changed, IIUC - the website hasn't been updated yet).

Hope this helps!