16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 5:02 PM by denny.lecompte

View Options drop down selections wanted

Network_Guru

I've customized this resource for the last 4 years now, but it is overwritten with each Orion upgrade.

On the node/interface/volume details page each chart has a drop down menu with "View Options" as the default.
      What I have done is cutomize the resources.asp file to add "Last 24 Hours", "Last 90 Days" and "Last 12 months" to the drop down list.

I've also customized the sample interval on each selection to be more granular.
      Last 24 hours = 15 minute interval
      Last 7 days = 1 hour interval
      Last 30 days = 2 hours interval
      Last 90 days = 6 hour interval
      Last 12 months = One a day

Doing this saves a lot of extra selecting and clicking and allows Orion users to quickly find historical info and trends without having to manipulate or even open the chart.

This is really not a hard thing to do and can easily be added to the next SP.

• Re: View Options drop down selections wanted
          aLTeReGo

I agree NG. However if you think that's bad you should take a look at the predefined time periods in APM. Hopefully you aren't interested in looking at anything longer than a day.

Network_Guru

The drop down menu isn't even displayed on the charts in VoIP monitor.

I realize there is now a drop down to change the default time for the whole page, but it still only goes back 24 hours.
              The only way to view data older than this is to open the chart and select a custom time period - definitely not user friendly.

BTW, will the next VoIP Monitor release have the MOS chart scale corrected so it displays from 0 to 5?

denny.lecompte

Art,

This request is something I've heard a few times, but not a lot.  I realize it's tempting to say "why don't you just do X?  It should be easy."  I know it's tempting because I find myself thinking it as a software consumer on an almost daily basis.  But inside the sausage factory, it's more complicated.  Sometimes it's harder than it seems.  Other times, it really is easy, but it's one of a 100 easy things that have been requested, so it just keeps getting dropped.

So on this feature, it really hasn't come up much.  I can certainly see the value.  I'd like to hear from other folks.  Is this a high priority feature?  If so, I'll see what we can do about elevating its priority.

Network_Guru

Thanks for looking at this Denny,

Even changing the existing dropdown in APM and VoIP Monitor to include 7 & 30 day stats, like NPM, would be a benefit.
                      This would make NPM, APM & VoIP Monitor consistent in their look and feel.

aLTeReGo

Even changing the existing dropdown in APM and VoIP Monitor to include 7 & 30 day stats, like NPM, would be a benefit.

Much agreed NG! I must admit that I was a little disappointed to see that this obvious and simple change didn't even make it into the upcoming new version of APM that's currently in beta. It seems to me that when you're going in there to do major code revisions, then would be the opportune time to chip away at some of these low hanging fruit.

No I'm not a developer, but I play one on TV.   =)

denny.lecompte

I hear you, but so far it's just the two of you.  I value your opinion a lot.  A whole lot, actually.  Still, I'm looking for other voices.

rgward

Me three!  I agree with NG and aLTeReGo.  We've had to add the same customization.   View options should be standard form for all graphs across all Orion and associated modules.

denny.lecompte

3 is more than two.  Of the various things that are important to you, what's slightly less important or roughly equally important than this?  What's slightly more important?

Serious question.  I'm trying to get a guage on where this fits.  In isolation, it's easy to say I want that.  But if you tell me how it stack ranks, I can properly value it. 

Network_Guru

I've just recently built a new Orion server with APM and VoIP monitor (I still have to build the EOC server) and was surprised to find the dropdown limitation in these modules.
                                        Perhaps I can try to put this into context from a users perspective.

<rant on>
                                        Conservatively we have around 10 power users that use Orion all day, everyday.
                                        On average, they view 30 charts per day while troubleshooting and viewing network trends. Currently it takes about 2 seconds to click the drop down and select the time period required. Time taken for 300 graphs = 10 minutes.
                                        Using APM or VoIP Monitor this same task would take 20 seconds to open the chart and enter a custom time period for anything over 24 hours of historical data. That's 90 minutes of additional non-productive time per day just to view charts.

Example, checking the CPU utilization on our 9 web proxy servers today, to view the impact of the Obama inauguration streaming videos.
                                        Viewing the CPU stats for today was meaningless without understanding what the historical stats were. I had to select the last 7 days to see the average utilization was 30% and Obama pushed it up to 60%.

I then had to do the same for the network utilization for these 3 sites.
                                        I found, modified, copied and pasted the 12 day graphs into an e-mail to our executives in less than 5 minutes. Having to create custom time periods for these graphs to display the last 7 days would have taken much longer.

Features and functionality which have been available for years should not just be arbitrarily changed or dropped. I don't know if the developers were just not aware of the feature, or figured it was not important or heavily used? Or perhaps the was a business decision, I don't know....
                                        Developing software to function in a dev environment with a few hundred nodes or elements is quite different than using this software everyday to monitor thousands or 10s of thousands of elements in a fast and efficient manner. Having the all the info required to troubleshoot problems is great, but finding it quickly and efficiently is an even bigger benefit!

</rant off>

I have a real passion for monitoring/measuring things, and I'd like to see this software be the best it can be.

denny.lecompte

Features and functionality which have been available for years should not just be arbitrarily changed or dropped.

Dropped?  I thought you'd been customizing it for the last 4 years.  Was it dropped four years ago?  Or what am I not understanding?  Dropped is very different from "haven't implemented yet".

Network_Guru

Features and functionality which have been available for years should not just be arbitrarily changed or dropped.

Dropped?  I thought you'd been customizing it for the last 4 years.  Was it dropped four years ago?  Or what am I not understanding?  Dropped is very different from "haven't implemented yet".

I am referring to the 7 & 30 day views which are currently available in NPM, but not APM or VoIP Monitor.
                                                I would expect the chart interface to have the same look and feel across all the modules.

denny.lecompte

OK. I agree that they should all be the same.  They will be.  But they weren't really dropped.  APM and VoIP were built using a different graphics engine (because the old one wasn't available any longer).  In 9.0, NPM adopted the new graphics engine and tried to match the old charts as much possible.  The next step is for VoIP and APM to adopt the NPM version of the charts.  It will happen.

We'll also consider adding more options to all charts, but the more people who ask, the higher the priority.

Network_Guru

It seems something has changed on my APM and VoIP charts, as I don't recall seeing this before.
                                                        I clicked the edit button and changed the default time from Today, to the 'Last 24 hours'.

Now when I click and open the chart and then select the drop down menu, I see this:

Can someone confirm these are the default options for VoIP monitor charts?

I checked the APM charts and some of them have this dropdown, and others only have the Last 24 hours and less, as posted by Alterego.

If all the charts have these dropdown options once opened, then I consider my request to have them added to the Node, Interface, Volume or Application details page (as per the first post) less urgent, but still nice to have.

SamuelB

We'll also consider adding more options to all charts, but the more people who ask, the higher the priority.

I would like more options in all charts by default. I have wanted this for some time but just not taken the time to ask. The additional option that would help me the most is "Last 24 Hours".