6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 10:14 AM by networkingkool

Orion/SNMP on Cisco Lightweight AP's

Hello everyone,

Is there a way you can poll SNMP information off of lightweight AP's behind a Cisco WLC?  We have icmp setup in our Orion currently on all the LWAPPs but we would like to monitor them with SNMP.

Thanks everybody!

• Re: Orion/SNMP on Cisco Lightweight AP's

Somebody must also want to do this, any help would be very greatfulll.

Miron

Hi,

I believe this has been queried before on the forum. As far as I remember and from out own experience the Lightweight AP's do not support snmp as they are designed to be managed centrally. Thus all management including snmp is from the WLC. This is a bit of a pain as it is difficult to gather stats using snmp of individual access points.

The question from a Cisco person would possibly be.

"What else would you want to know that is not available from the central management server. If you cant icmp the device you know it is not working, if you want to know client stats go the the WLC, if you want to know the interface utilisation look on the switch port"

I suppose what we are looking for is a central place to gather all that information rather than actually requiring us to individually poll each unit. If SW and WLC had some sort of link which showed all that integrated on the one console it would solve the problem. but thats a too big fish to fry possibly at the moment

Miron

bshopp

This has been an on-going discussion, please see the following thread for more info and to post other ideas as well - LWAPP Support?  What do you want to see?

networkingkool

Hi,

Today I also get into this trouble, though I try to make this dead thread alive.

Cisco lightweight APs are controlled by WLC, however we still can telnet/ssh to each individual APs by enabling management feature and setting an user/pass/enable pass for them. Then we can configure snmp just like switch or router. As a result, Solarwinds can monitor each APs like a normal node.

Unfortunately, I still cannot sleep well, because I cannot find out the way to save the running config to nvram.... That's so funny because AP's configuration are managed by WLC. One beautiful day when the power cut off, I have to reconfigure snmp information.

Does any one know how to overcome this trouble? He or she will give me a nice sleep at night.

Thanks.

Ismo

I think controlled AP's don't have configs (or neither OS) in flash. The idea is that they get all configs (and OS versions) in boot. That's why they are controlled by controller. If they would have "their own intelligence", then they wouldn't need controllers.

networkingkool

Hi,

Actually, not all configurations of AP are controlled by the controller. Your idea is correct in most case, but in some cases like my case, it doesn't make sense. I can control each APs by SNMP now, but don't know how to save that configuration. Maybe it is impossible!

But In my mind, I start to think how to instruct the controller to push some same configurations to APs like SNMP configurations??? I'm trying to manage Lightweight APs by Solarwind.

Thanks.