2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 6:48 AM by ajl119

How to have different monitors run based on dependencies

ajl119

Hello,

I am currently proving ipMonitor before we purchase and I am trying to monitor two databases in a closed network.

If the database is primary then I want to alert if the number of session goes over 100, however if the database is a secondary then I want to alert if the sessions go over 20.

The problem however is that the databases do swap primary and secondary roles and we do not want to have to go and reconfigure the Monitors each time.

My thinking is that maybe I could do something like the following:

Create two monitors, first monitor is TRUE if SQL statement reports database is primary. The second monitor is TRUE if SQL statement reports database is secondary.

Would I be correct to now create the other monitors which are needed if the database is primary and make them dependant on the first monitor that is TRUE if primary. Additionally create the monitors which are needed if the database is secondary and make them dependant on the second monitor that is true if secondary.

Am I right in thinking that only the correct monitors would then be run based on the database role?

If the above idea is correct how can I suppress alerts from the first two SQL monitors? Ie. either the Primary or Secondary tests will fail, but I obviously don't care about this and I only want to get failure alerts from the monitors which are running based on the primary or secondary dependency monitors.