This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Performance Monitor Startup Error - Error 424

Can someone help on this? I am getting this error (shown below) when I logged on using the default username and password.

Network Performance Monitor Startup Error

Cannot start SolarWinds Orion NPM Web Engine (OrionNPMWeb.Application).

Error Number 424
Object required

You may need to rerun the SolarWinds Configuration Wizard.
Visit http://www.solarwinds.net/netperfmon/help/admin/Security for more detailed information

I am using Solarwind Orion NPM v9.1 and applied the SP1 and SP1 but with no luck.

Need help urgently.

Thanks.

• Hi,

Did you try to rerun the configuration wizard as advised?

Start > All Programs > Solarwinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery > Configuration Wizard

If it does not help, do you get any error in the Windows Events? During the configuration wizard?

Need help urgently.

Do not hesitate to open a support ticket when this is urgent.

Thanks,

Yann

• I have tried this many times but with no luck...I have opened already a case for this and someone is working with it.

• What was the Fix? We are having the same error message. No changes were made walked in the office and this message is up.

Network Performance Monitor Startup ErrorCannot start SolarWinds Orion NPM Web Engine (OrionNPMWeb.Application).
    Error Number 424
    Object required
    You may need to rerun the SolarWinds Configuration Wizard.
    Visit http://www.solarwinds.net/netperfmon/help/admin/Security for more detailed information.

• Hope this will help!

This is what I've done. Open the IIS and right click on the SolarWinds NetPerfMon web site and click on the Properties. Click on the Home Directory tab. Make sure on the Execute permissions that Scripts and Executables is selected. Hit the Configuration button. 

Under the Application Configuration, click on the Options tab and tick on the Enable session state.

I don't see this error anymore after enabling the session state on the IIS. 

• Hello Arnie,

I've tried the solution you suggested, but the problem still appeared (after a few days). As a workaround I use the solution of unloading COM+ Application Services (from Orion Service Manager), which takes only a couple of seconds, but the problem for this solution is that it solves the problem temporary (for example in my case, the error occured twice in a week or so). 

So, to prevent that I unload every day COM+ Application Services, but I would need a solution to insert in a schedule task this operation of unloading COM+, in order to to that automatically.

If anyone has an ideea of how can I do this, please do not hesitate in sharing it to me.

Thanks a lot,

Cosmin

• This is an old post, but I was curious. What would cause this to happen. I like the work a rounds, but this is also happening to me. My boss will want a logical answer as to what caused it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bret

• Kindbro,

Using 9.1 and below - SolarWinds depended heavily on the COM+ application within Windows Server OS.

In those releases; there would often be permissions issues that would crop up from time to time causing these 424 errors.  Possible reasons could be a MS Automatic Update or Security Patches - or GPO's that were pushed to the server by Server Admins...  It's tough to narrow down in certain environments.

The good news is we have eliminated the COM+ apps in version 9.5 - If you have read the prerequisites and release notes; I believe you would benefit from an upgrade.

Should you need assistance - please open a support case and I would be glad to help you... Please reference this thread when opening a case.

Thanks,

David