23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 2:33 AM by Mars

How has everyone's SP2 installs for 9.1 been going?

kweise

All,

I've got a maintenance window this weekend for our Orion environment.  We're on 9.1 and my initial plan was to install SP1.  Now that SP2 is out, I was wondering how many of you have applied SP2 and if you ran into any issues after doing so.  I've got a couple of issues that SP1 is supposed to resolve, but if I can go straight to SP2 without an issue, I'll go that route.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Kevin

• Re: How has everyone's SP2 installs for 9.1 been going?
          jeff.stewart

Kevin,

I went from 9.1 SP1 to SP2 without any snags.  Everything seems to be working fine for me since the upgarde.

aLTeReGo

The upgrade went very smoothly. No complaints here. I took one from 9.1 SP1 to SP2 and another 9.1 with no service pack up to SP2, skipping SP1 and both upgrades were uneventful.

greybirds2

Ours went fine, no issues.  Just be aware that if at the end of the upgrade you receive a warning that the install failed due to failure of services to stop, just click on "Fiinsh".  Seems to happen on the SP installs - some people say if you stop the serivces manually first that error doesn't occur, but I've had it occur whether you stop services first or just let the install package attempt to stop them.

Good luck!

rcahill

Kevin,

I upgraded from sp1 to sp2 and experienced no un-expected problems.

The one expected problem is a continuing 9.x bug with Custom Properties and Report Writer.   For some in-explicible reason since version 9 the upgrade process fails to Update the Report Schemes.

At this time I am reviewing the fix report.

Update 1:  My Lowest utilized ESX Host Server is being reported as using 2,956% CPU Load, Highest - 18,354% CPU Load

jeff.stewart

It always takes a long time for our service to start or stop fully. 

DirtySouth

Mine doesn't seem to be going too well. I'm getting the following error when it begins to copy files...

Uploading OrionNPMWeb

Copying files to D:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\

Error: Unable to copy files to install directory. (Error Code: 4)

This service pack installer encountered an error updating files.

aLTeReGo

It looks like a locked file or a permissions error. I recommend setting the solarwinds services as manual start, rebooting the server and trying the service pack install again. If that doesn't work double check your NTFS permissions.

casey.schmit

In the past, I've also seen these where multiple people were logged on to the box(via RDP) using Orion.  While you may have shut down everything in your session, someone is still using System Manager in a different one, preventing us from upgrading it.

Just something to keep an eye on.  We'll make sure we try to handle this better in future releases...

DirtySouth

I checked permissions and they seem to be normal. I'm not sure if there is some Solarwinds user account that needs to have permissions though. I've installed numerous NPM & NCM updates on this box in the last few months and haven't had this issue.

I also checked for any other Terminal Server sessions and there aren't any. I probably won't be able to reboot this box until after hours. Any other ideas?

aLTeReGo

The only user account that needs proper permissions is the account you're logged into the server as.  If you can determine which file is locked you can find out who/what is locking the file with WhoLockMe or Unlocker. Unlocker allows you to forcibly unlock the file without rebooting the server.

DirtySouth

Well, I got it working. I had to turn all of my Orion services to manual and then reboot the box. It looks like some service/process was hung somewhere preventing the install. If anyone else is having issues, give this a shot.

Thanks for the help & suggestions!

njoylif

Yea, I just went from 9.0 sp2 to 9.1 sp2.  The only throuble I had was the NetPerfMon.exe process not stopping fast enough.  Support said when the config wizard stops the service (monitor using Orion Service Manager).  When it chages to stopping, kill the process (end task) in task manager.  This will allow the wizard to finish up with no issues.  Apparently the polling engines are just trying to finish their polling cycles.

Otherwise, mine went well.

kweise

All,

Thanks for the replies.  I installed SP2 Sunday morning.  Like most, my NetPerfMon services didn't stop fast enough on either polling engine.  Aside from that, the install went smoothly for me.

Thanks again,
                                                  Kevin

ebradford

I had Orion 9.0 workng reliably well on SP2. But then, we needed to move Orion to a new server for speed improvements. We also needed to move the SQL database from one SQL server to another for HDD space issues. During the server move, I installed 9.1 SP1. I fould our new set-up on Orion 9.1 SP1 to be slow, and periodically NetPerfMon console would lock up. There were other problems, such as inability to connect to the database, and some the NetPerfMon Service would indicate "starting" for extended periods of time. So I opened a SW Support case. They had me install SP2. Unfortunately, that further complicated the problem. Certain services, the polling engine, and NPM wouldn't start-up at all. I finally repair-installed 9.1 (no service Pack) over the top. It seems to be running again. If the baseline works and everything seems to work, I'll try SP2 again -- but with SP1 first.

Eric

jeffnorton

I had a bit of a problem.  Apparently when Orion installs as a service it sets the service recovery mode in windowsw as "Restart Service" for first, second, and subsequent failures.  This feature does not show up on the Orion Service Manager.  It only shows up under Windows Computer Managment/Services.   Consequently when I tried to stop the netperfmon service from with in the Orion Service Manager it would start back up again several minutes later.  Also it would restart when I did a kill service from with in Windows Computer Managment/Services (Before I realized the recovery mode was set).  So what it says is that Windows recognizes any attempt to stop the service as a failure that needs recovery.

To stop the service for upgrade I had to go into the Windows Services and set the recovery to take no action and then shut the service down.  Orion reset it back to recover service when the SP2 was loaded.  Since I didn't have SP1 loaded, I basically had to go through this process for both service packs.

My recomendation would be that Solarwinds add access to the recovery settings from with in their Service Manager

grantsewell

Just installed SP1 and SP2 progressively on my 9.1 instance - no issues so far. Went smoothly.

One issue with a scheduled custom report.  First I fixed the custom properties issue (update report schema).   The report generates just fine however the scheduled job pukes with an ASP.NET event ID 1309, event code 3005: unhandled exception.

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 12/18/2008 10:58:49 PM

Event time (UTC): 12/19/2008 4:58:49 AM

Event ID: ec3c7b009e554a93bb732b3ca926a0fb

Event sequence: 2

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/Root-1-128741363238219784

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: C:\InetPub\SolarWinds\

Machine name: SOLARWINDS

Process information:

Process ID: 3736

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: FormatException

Exception message: String was not recognized as a valid Boolean.

Request information:

Request URL: http://solarwinds/Orion/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=An unhandled exception has occurred.forionAn unhandled exception has occurred.fproxy.aspx12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMfpath12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMdAn unhandled exception has occurred.fNetPerfMonAn unhandled exception has occurred.fReport.asp12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMfReport12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMdProduction_Availability_-_Last_7_DaysNT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICEAccountID12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMdreportNT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICEPassword12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMd******NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICEPrintable12/18/2008 10:58:49 PMdYES&path=/NetPerfMon/Report.asp?Report=Production_Availability_-_Last_7_Days&AccountID=report&Password=*******&Printable=YES

Request path: /Orion/Login.aspx

User host address: 172.X.X.X

User:

Is authenticated: False

Authentication Type:

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:

Thread ID: 1

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace: at System.Boolean.Parse(String value)

at ASP.orion_masterpage_master.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Hi

also seen after the update:
                                            ESX CPU - big & bad value Re: VMware ESX CPU - big & bad value after Orion 9.1 SP2

Greetings,