This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How has everyone's SP2 installs for 9.1 been going?

All,

I've got a maintenance window this weekend for our Orion environment.  We're on 9.1 and my initial plan was to install SP1.  Now that SP2 is out, I was wondering how many of you have applied SP2 and if you ran into any issues after doing so.  I've got a couple of issues that SP1 is supposed to resolve, but if I can go straight to SP2 without an issue, I'll go that route.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

• Kevin,

I went from 9.1 SP1 to SP2 without any snags.  Everything seems to be working fine for me since the upgarde.

• The upgrade went very smoothly. No complaints here. I took one from 9.1 SP1 to SP2 and another 9.1 with no service pack up to SP2, skipping SP1 and both upgrades were uneventful.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Ours went fine, no issues.  Just be aware that if at the end of the upgrade you receive a warning that the install failed due to failure of services to stop, just click on "Fiinsh".  Seems to happen on the SP installs - some people say if you stop the serivces manually first that error doesn't occur, but I've had it occur whether you stop services first or just let the install package attempt to stop them.

Good luck!

• I've seen the SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor service take a very long time to shut down in the past.  I generally try to shut my services down before I apply any upgrades.  Thanks for the info!

• Kevin,

I upgraded from sp1 to sp2 and experienced no un-expected problems.

The one expected problem is a continuing 9.x bug with Custom Properties and Report Writer.   For some in-explicible reason since version 9 the upgrade process fails to Update the Report Schemes.

At this time I am reviewing the fix report.

Update 1:  My Lowest utilized ESX Host Server is being reported as using 2,956% CPU Load, Highest - 18,354% CPU Load

• It always takes a long time for our service to start or stop fully. 

• Mine doesn't seem to be going too well. I'm getting the following error when it begins to copy files...

Uploading OrionNPMWeb

Copying files to D:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\

Error: Unable to copy files to install directory. (Error Code: 4)

This service pack installer encountered an error updating files.

• It looks like a locked file or a permissions error. I recommend setting the solarwinds services as manual start, rebooting the server and trying the service pack install again. If that doesn't work double check your NTFS permissions.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to DirtySouth

In the past, I've also seen these where multiple people were logged on to the box(via RDP) using Orion.  While you may have shut down everything in your session, someone is still using System Manager in a different one, preventing us from upgrading it.

Just something to keep an eye on.  We'll make sure we try to handle this better in future releases...

• I checked permissions and they seem to be normal. I'm not sure if there is some Solarwinds user account that needs to have permissions though. I've installed numerous NPM & NCM updates on this box in the last few months and haven't had this issue.

I also checked for any other Terminal Server sessions and there aren't any. I probably won't be able to reboot this box until after hours. Any other ideas?