This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Having some issues

Hey all,

I have been evaluating Orion for about 20 days now and today I ran into an issue.

I was opening System Manager to add a few interfaces to a switch when all of a sudden I got an error message saying connection to the database has failed and asking me to shut down some service. I accepted and then rebooted the server. I am able to log onto the website and see the main page  but I see errors now in the system logs and on the main page under "Interfaces with High Percent Utilization" its all empty and if I go to Top 10, I don't see the test switches I automatically disconnected from the network showing, its like I am not seeing any up to date info, just info from before it rebooted.

Here are some errors after I rebooted

1. "Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. The open operation did not complete within the allotted timeout of 00:01:00. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout."

2. 12/11/2008 11:50 AM  NPM Service [TESTSWO01] Started 
12/11/2008 11:48 AM  NPM Service [TESTSWO01] Started 
12/11/2008 11:46 AM  NPM Service [TESTSWO01] Started 
12/11/2008 11:43 AM  NPM Service [TESTSWO01] Started 

3. Before I rebooted

Unhandled Exception caught in NPM Service Engine startup. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Now I talked to the senior DBA and he confirmed I had lots of connections to the DB and he checked the logs and saw no disconnects or no authenticating failures or anything. I am wondering what is going on and maybe what could have been the cause? The system has been up for about 1 week now with a reboot or any stopping of any services.

Thanks for your time!