3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 11:14 AM by byrona

Newbie - Apache Monitoring with APM 2.0

Hi all,

is there an existing template, (or can someone share one ?)  that will allow me to monitor Apache 2 on linux ?

(I also need to do the same thing for Tomcat 6) If not, what are the basic steps I need to take.

Many thanks

Neil

• Re: Newbie - Apache Monitoring with APM 2.0
          Yann

Hi Neil,

There is a default template named "Apache (APM 2.0)" in APM. I posted it in the content sharing zone in case it has been deleted from your installation. It requires APM 2.0.

Apache APM 2.0 (SolarWinds)

Concerning Tomcat 6, I cannot help you atm.

Yann

Tim_Neto

Hello Yann.

I'm tasked with deploying and managing my company's "Orion 2010.1.0 April 2010" system.  Currently I am trying to set up an application monitor for an Apache install on a CentOS system.

My trouble is I'm not an Apache expert and I do not find clear information on setting up only the Apache monitoring service.

In Thwack I did find your template for using Perl/getsnmp to monitor an Apache.  This solution requires the modification of the Apache implementation to add SNMP support to Apache.  I found the mod-apache-snmp (http://mod-apache-snmp.sourceforge.net/english/docs.htm) compile modifications.  Is this required to get your template to work?

I am trying to work within the stock options for CentOS and not have to keep an extensive custom deployment.  Is this possible?

It seems there is no "simple" Orion solution to monitor an Apache deployment...

Tim

byrona

Hello Yann.

I'm tasked with deploying and managing my company's "Orion 2010.1.0 April 2010" system.  Currently I am trying to set up an application monitor for an Apache install on a CentOS system.

My trouble is I'm not an Apache expert and I do not find clear information on setting up only the Apache monitoring service.

In Thwack I did find your template for using Perl/getsnmp to monitor an Apache.  This solution requires the modification of the Apache implementation to add SNMP support to Apache.  I found the mod-apache-snmp (http://mod-apache-snmp.sourceforge.net/english/docs.htm) compile modifications.  Is this required to get your template to work?

I am trying to work within the stock options for CentOS and not have to keep an extensive custom deployment.  Is this possible?

It seems there is no "simple" Orion solution to monitor an Apache deployment...

Tim

With APM you can monitor any aspect of Apache in pretty much any way that you want.  For example if you don't want to modify your stock Apache installs you can setup an Application Template that looks for your Apache processes and monitors Port 80, Port 8080, etc. You can also create URL monitors for URL's located on each of your Apache web servers.

It all really depends on what components you want to verify and if you are more concerned about performance or availability.  APM gives you the flexibility to define how you want to monitor this, don't fee like you need to stick with the pre-defined Application Templates.

Hope this helps!