48 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 1:43 PM by jbaulsir

HP Servers

Hello all,

We would like to use Orion to monitor the status of disks in an array.  If we have a drive fail, we want it to appear in the Nodes with Problems view for all to see.

I have searched Thwack and found a custom poller someone posted in the Content Sharing Zone, however, it does not return results we can interpret.  Does anyone use Orion for this purpose? I'm sorry for the less than specific question -- but I'm not sure where to start!

Thank you in advance, 

Andrew

• Re: HP Servers

Thanks.  The OID referred to (1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.2.1.1.6 /  cpqDaCntlrCondition) is described as "The condition of the device. This value represents the overall
             condition of this controller , and any associated logical drives ,
             physical drives , and array accelerators", which sounds like what we're after.  The data is represented as a graph in the Orion web page, though. Does it need to be transformed?

branfarm

HI there,

I am currently monitoring the physical disk status of my servers with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.6 (cpqDaPhyDrvStatus). I have the poller setup to use the raw values, mapped to return a result of either Unknown, Ok, failed, or predictive failure. I have it setup as a UnDP on all of my servers, and I wrote a custom alert that sends me the server name, date, and all of the specifications for the drive (speed, size, interface, etc) when it fails.  The weakness with my method is that I can't limit it to only display one drive status.  What this means is that whenever a box has a HDD that dies,  I get an email that says "Hard Drive failure on <HOST>:  Drive status is now Ok,Ok,Failed,Ok."   That would be an example for a server that has 4 physical drives in it.  As far as I can tell, the alerts are consistent in that they always show the drives in increasing order, so Ok,Ok,Failed,Ok represent a failure on the 3rd drive in the box.

I'm not sure if there's a way to get this to show up on the Nodes with problems page, but it will show up in the active alerts section though.

Let me know if I can provide any more info that will be helpful.

Good luck!

--Brandon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jbaulsir

Try these.....

HP Drive Status

JB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  branfarm

JB --

That looks great. I'm gonna set those up on my box. Thanks for sharing those.  By the way, how did you get the HP Management page link on each page so that it would be unique for every host? Also, can you please share how you were able to add the Operational Role to the node details resource?

Thanks!

jbaulsir

added "Operational Role", "System", "Mission", Last_Update", "Next_Update" to Custom Properities

and added this:

<tr>
                         <td class="Property" width="10"> </td>
                         <td class="PropertyHeader">Operational Role</td>
                         <td class="Property"> </td>
                         <td class="Property"><%#Eval("ObjectProperties[\"Operational_Role\"]")%> </td>
                       </tr>
                       <tr>
                         <td class="PropertyHeader">System</td>
                         <td class="Property"><%#Eval("ObjectProperties[\"System\"]")%> </td>
                       </tr>
                       <tr>
                         <td class="PropertyHeader">Mission</td>
                         <td class="Property"><%#Eval("ObjectProperties[\"Mission\"]")%> </td>
                       </tr>
                       <tr>
                         <td class="PropertyHeader">Last_Update</td>
                         <td class="Property"><%#Eval("ObjectProperties[\"Last_Update\"]")%> </td>
                       </tr>
                       <tr>
                         <td class="PropertyHeader">Next_Update</td>
                         <td class="Property"><%#Eval("ObjectProperties[\"Next_Update\"]")%> </td>
                       </tr>

To Drive:\Inetpub\SolarWinds\Orion\NetPerfMon\Resources\NodeDetails\NodeDetails.ascx

JB

JB,

Thank you for posting these.  I apologize for being incompotent, but I receive errors during the import that are obviously my fault because Brandon was able to use these pollers.

I think it has to do with how I'm saving the file you posted.  The .XML opens in a browser window when I click download. I tried pasting that into a text file (naming with proper extension) without success.  Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,

Andrew

mgibson

Jbaulsir,

I know this posting died long ago. I am trying to follow along and create the Server Details View you posted. How do I create the Server Details View? can the Node Details View be used as a template? Now that we are running v10+ will all this stil work?

I am beginning to try to use ORION NPM to Monitor Servers and I am no where near you level of expertise. I would really appreciate any insight you have into creating a Server View. We too are trying to replace HPSim as well as other tools, and now we have some competition with MS SCOM, We want a single pane of glass and are evaluating APM now.

I am also confused when it comes to the telnet, ssh, rdp mechanisms NPM has to offer, but never have been sucessful at getting them to work for the average Customer(user), as we can not afford to purchase ETK for every user. Any insight into this subject would also be appreciated, if you have any to offer.

Thank you

jbaulsir

The server details here is in fact a custom resource. That was modified from the node details resource.  Custom properties were added to it along with extensive universal device pollers (most of which are detailed in the NPM UnDP download section)  all of this works with version 10 and in fact we just upgraded to version 10.2. 

I'm not so sure about what your problem is with telnet SSH RDP,  that stuff pretty much works out-of-the-box for us.  I have added some additional things like putty and virtual center to the solar winds browser integrated menu.

I've attached the server details resource as a zip file,  note this is not supported by solar winds or me for that matter so use at your own risk.

JB

jbaulsir

Here a piture of the browser integration -