5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 1:58 PM by tdvojmoc

Change of SNMP ifIndex

tdvojmoc

How Orion NPM distinguishes interfaces and how it reacts, if interface index changes?

• Re: Change of SNMP ifIndex
          vhcato

Tomaz,

I don't know the exact process by which Orion determines that an interface index changes, but I assume it compares this against some other variable such as "InterfaceName" when it does a rediscovery. Perhaps someone from SW can clarify.

It's been my experience that when a new interface index is discovered, Orion simply updates the database with the new value, logs it as an event, and continues as normal; mostly. We have seen a number of issues where this process doesn't seem to work correctly if the change is due to a device model change. At times, when we change a device to a different model, we have seen Orion have some difficulties with recognizing the interfaces, even though the names are the same. When this occurs, we generally have to delete and re-add the interfaces.

BryanBecker

If this is an issue I know you can use the snmp-server ifindex persist option if your running Cisco IOS. 

BB

tdvojmoc

event, and continues as normal; mostly. We have seen a number of issues where this process doesn't seem to work correctly if the change is due to a device model change. At times, when we change a device to a different model, we have seen Orion have some difficulties with recognizing the interfaces, even though the names are the same. When this occurs, we generally have to delete and re-add the interfaces.
                Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you please describe your procedure when you are replacing a managed device with a new one, but different model, in more detail? I assume you keep the same management IP and all statistics from before the replacement. Is it just deleting the "unknown" interfaces and adding the new ones?

tdvojmoc

We have seen a number of issues where this process doesn't seem to work correctly if the change is due to a device model change.
                  Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you please describe the procedure in NPM when replacing a managed device with different model? I assume your keep the managed IP and the collected statistics from before the replacement. Is it just deleting the "unknown" interfaces, if they appear, and readding the new ones?

Edit: Sorry for double posting. I've got an error when I clicked "Post", but it appears, the reply was saved anyway.