This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creating groups ?

Hey all,

I am evaluating Orion and i am trying to make Orion as much as Ciscoworks as I can. In Cisco works I have groups for the different offices of my company and I have been trying to create group to attach devices to so if I wanted to see the status of all devices in Office A, I could or in Office B. If anybody can help me with creating groups and assigning devices to it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• You can do this with custom properties - for example, you could create a custom property called Site, then edit the 'All Nodes' resource on your web console to group the nodes using that custom property

There's a video tutorial about using the Custom Property Editor available here
  • Another thing you can do is configure the snmp location for all of your devices to be Office A, Office B, etc. and then sort by location.
  • Thanks. I will look into each way but changing the snmp info on over 1500 devices for evaluation purposes is sort of alot of work. The video helped alot.

I have created 3 new properties now and now I am trying to figure out how to add the proper device to the proper property!

• If you created a Node property, click the "Nodes" button in the Custom Property Editor - you'll be presented with a table of the nodes and their custom properties, and you can fill them in from there.

Cheers,
  • Yes I see that but then when I go back to the monitor and edit what to show, I can show the 3 new "groups" but not as I imagined. I didn't have much time yesterday, today I will play some more with it and see where it takes me. Thanks for your help

•  We use both CW and SW and I'm not sure why you would ever want to make SW work like CW!!  SW is much nicer!!  8-)

But I do agree, using the SNMP location is great, esp. when you're using multiple NMS like SW and CW.   Pretty much all NMS systems I've used can work with this to sort your devices by location.   Having it set up consistently and well is a great time saver, esp when evaluating different NMS systems!!

Which, BTW, it is pretty simple to use CW to do the work setting the SNMP locations for you, just do it by subnet or whatever with job's...

• I am not really trying to get it like CW, just trying to make it work the same way. We have over 200 locations with devices and I need to group them according to their location as well as what part of the company they are related to. I have figured it out. Like now, I can see all the devices located in the north or south, I have separated them just to make it easier to navigate.

I could get CW to change all the locations but then I would have to log into each device and make them RW instead of RO.