This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Automating Export to CSV

Hello all,

I am involved in an automated reporting project that needs to collect data regularly from SW. I have created a custom report with the data I need, and now all I need to do is to get the report to run hourly and export to a CSV.

The shipped report scheduler seems not to support this for 3 reasons:

1) Won't allow hourly scheduling
2) Won't allow write-to-disk report generation, only email or print.
3) Won't allow export to CSV.

I see that this report schedule builds an xml definition file for use by the "runorionjob" tool, and schedules execution of this tool as a windows schedule task. I can adjust the frequency in the task definition to overcome point #1. Also, I've noticed that if I add the "DataFormat=csv" flag to the URL for pulling the report, it will dump a csv, even over the web. This gives me hope for point #3.

Does anybody know how the runorionjob tool works? Perhaps there are undocumented options in the XML format that would let me accomplish all of these goals?

Or some other technique that will allow me to schedule a report run/export to csv on an hourly basis?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
  • Hi,

I tried to have the Report Scheduler to download a CSV report from the webconsole but did not manage to have it working.

The Schedule features will not let you run the job more than once a day.

A workaround could be to use wget to retrieve the CSV file each hour. You can write a vbscript/perl/bash/etc. script which runs the following wget command each hour and save the file in a different name each time it runs.

wget -b -O report-date-string.csv -p "">xxx.yyy.zzz.www/.../Report.asp

HTH,

Yann 

•  Hmm...  The "Dataformat=csv" and "Dataformat=xml" are really nice.  It would be great if there was a header put on each report that was "Export to CSV" and "Export to XML"...