4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 7:13 AM by ecornwell

Poll a Device Poller from a Trap?

ecornwell

Hello,

I was wondering if it were possible to trigger a device poller to poll once a trap is received?  We get a trap from our Call Manager servers whenever a phone registration error occurs but the only data the trap includes is the number of failures in the table.  We'd like to be able to get this information once a trap is received.  Normally the table is empty unless there is a failure.  When I’ve done my testing in the Device Poller, I get the message “OID Not Supported.”  I’ve used GetIf in the past to see the information in the table but it is not very efficient to go out and try to search directly after getting the message. 
      If this won’t work, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Re: Poll a Device Poller from a Trap?
          denny.lecompte

The universal device poller isn't designed for on-demand polling.  But if you want that information, you could use a trap trigger action to run a script that does an SNMP Get for that information.

Would it be easier to create a universal poller that fetches the target OID  and publishes it as a gauge.  It's always just showing the latest data, and you only look at it when you get the trap.  Or I might be missing the point entirely, which, according to my wife, is a common occurrence.

ecornwell

First off, I want to say that you are awesome Denny as is the rest of the SW Staff!  I know it can be difficult to work in these kind of situations and with forums like this you tend to hear more negative than positive.  (These forums are much better than most.)   A lot of this is kind of like the book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie…  We always want more! :)

Anyway, to the problem… 

I’ve thought about trying to use a script and have the script send a message but I’m no scripter by any means and I don’t really have the time necessary to figure out how to do it. 

What happens when there is a poll with no data?  Will the previous data that was there disappear?  My fear is that I’ll get an alert and in-between getting the alert and being able to sign into the site, the poller will have polled again and get the “OID is not supported” type of response again and then nothing would be shown.  Another thought is that due to the polling interval the data could be there then gone in-between polls. 

denny.lecompte

Thanks for the kind words.  The "OID is not supported" error won't come and go.  If the OID is pollable or not.  If an OID is supported, there is always data available, but that data might be "0".  Now, it's possible that if the MIB is updated more often than you poll it, you might miss values.  is that your concern?

ecornwell

I may be reading things wrong but from what I've seen, the table does not exist if there is no data in it.  I've used GetIF for a quite a while as a mib walker.  If I put in the top level OID of the table and do a walk, I get no data back.  (The level I specified in the UnDP.)  When a phone fails and I walk from that mib, I get data a few layers deeper.

My main concern is that I want the last device or group of devices to show in the list.  I'm worried that if it gets the device during a poll and the next poll they are gone that it will clear the data out.

Edit: I was lucky enough to capture one of these events today...

Here is what a normal poll looks like:

Here is what I get once I've gotten the trap and poll in time: