1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 5:13 AM by Yann

NPM Installation questions?

I have to install NPM,Netflow, Engineer's Toolset, APM, Wireless monitor,IP Monitor,NCM modules. Can anyone help me with best recommened architecture for installation? Should I install all modules in one box? Which ports to be open on firewall (apart from tcp/17777) ?  Your help is appreciated.

• Re: NPM Installation questions?
          Yann
          Should I install all modules in one box?

It depends how many Network Elements you plan to monitor.

I advise you to read the the page 26-28 of the Orion Administration Guide.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionAdministratorGuide.pdf

The Orion Modules have to be installed on the top of the Orion NPM application except for Orion NCM one which can run as a standalone application. Engineer's Toolset can be integrated with Orion and its module but does not need to be on the same box.

ipMonitor is a standalone product that should be installed on different server. 

Which ports to be open on firewall (apart from tcp/17777) ?

The TCP port 17777 needs to be opened only if you spread the applications on multiple servers, e.g. Orion NPM on a server and Orion NCM on another one.

Orion NPM => SNMP (UDP port 161), SNMP Traps (UDP port 162), PING (ICMP), Syslog (UDP port 514)

NetFlow => UDP Port 2055 by default (can be modified) 

APM => WMI (TCP Port 135), SSH (TCP Port 22), SNMP

Wireless Monitor => SNMP

ipMonitor => SNMP, SNMP Traps, WMI 

NCM => Telnet (TCP port 23), SSH, TFTP (UDP port 69), SNMP

Let us know if you need more details somewhere, I think I listed all the ports but if anyone has something to add, do not hesitate.

HTH,

Yann