2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 6:34 AM by worto03

install guide for version 9 & licencing question?

worto03

Hi,

I can't find it on the main site (might just be me being a bit blind!) does anyone here have a link to the v9 install guide.

Also do I install v9 then apply the 9.1 hotfix and licencing wise I am going to do a brand new install on a better spec server so do I have to raise a support ticket to run the old version along side the new version while we get it up and running then we'll turn the old one off after a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

worto.

• Re: install guide for version 9 & licencing question?
          Yann

Hi Worto, 

I can't find it on the main site (might just be me being a bit blind!) does anyone here have a link to the v9 install guide.

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/Help/Admin/ or http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionAdministratorGuide.pdf

Page 28 of the PDF

The other docs are there: http://www.solarwinds.com/support/documentation.aspx

Also do I install v9 then apply the 9.1 hotfix and licencing wise I am going to do a brand new install on a better spec server so do I have to raise a support ticket to run the old version along side the new version while we get it up and running then we'll turn the old one off after a couple of weeks.

There is two possible scenario.

1) You upgrade the current server from Orion 9.0 to Orion 9.1 . Once done that you start installing Orion 9.1 to the new server without running the configuration wizard to avoid connecting it to the database. Then you release the Orion 9.1 license from your old server to apply it on your new server, services will be stopped on both servers at that moment. The License Manager utility will help you there, if not the customer service is there as a backend for the licensing issues. Once the new Orion is licensed, run the configuration wizard on it to configure the database connection, the services and the web console.

2) You upgrade the current server from Orion 9.0 to Orion 9.1 and use a temporary license for that version (need to contact the support for that). You backup your database and restore it under another name or on another database server. You install Orion 9.1 on the new server and connect it to the second database. You ensure that everything is running fine before to unplug the old server from the network.

in both case you have a downtime while upgrading. The first scenario adds a second down time. The second scenarion adds a gap in your statistics at the moment where you backup/restore your db till you connect the new Orion server to it and have the services running.

Other users might have different scenario to submit :-? this is how I would do it personally. 

HTH,

Yann 

• Re: install guide for version 9 & licencing question?
              worto03

Thanks for the docs I'll have a look at them now (I was being a bit blind then!)

As for the upgrades I should have said the old server is on 8.5.x

I was hoping to avoid a potentially messy upgrade by simply installing a new v9\9.1 no the new server and exporting the database over from the old 8.5.x server to the new server? Is this not a good way to do it?

It would require some licencing leniency I guess but apart from that it seems like a good way to do it avoiding down time and giving us a couple of weeks to get all of the maps\alerts\reports accross to the new version.

Any thoughts on if this is possible?

Thanks,

Steve.