2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 12:46 PM by gbrance

Just Installed Orion V9.1 SP1 - Comments and questions

gbrance

I just upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1 SP1 without any issue.  I was excited to finally see the new ESX server features.  However I feel that I am missing something. 

The list of Virtual Machines.window.  It shows all virtual machines assigned to this server.  I cannot even sort this list by name, state, memory usage.  I cannot even exclude VM's that are powered off.  I don't know if I am missing something, but this is really irritating.   

Orion doesn't discover the SAN storage disks assigned to the ESX servers where the VM's are placed so I cannot monitor volume usage.

Recomendation for a feature to look at.  If you are managing a ESX server environment it would help if you had a roll up view of your ESX cluster.  The VC looks at the ESX cluster as just one big machine with multiple hosts located on it were the VM's run.  It would help to have a view that you could see overall utilization of your entire ESX cluster and then drill down into each server individually if you wanted. 

• Re: Just Installed Orion V9.1 SP1 - Comments and questions
          denny.lecompte

These are good suggestions.  We'll be considering these for the future.

• Re: Just Installed Orion V9.1 SP1 - Comments and questions
              gbrance

Thanks Denny.   I am actually a little shocked about about the listing of Virtual Machine that you cannot even sort them.  Some of our Dell R900 Hosts have over 60+ VM's on them (not all active) and to have the VM's listed by some type of order that I cannot figure out is very frustrating(what is the order they are listed in?).  Even the free VM Monitor I can show only running VM's.   Just a little disappointed that SolarWinds rolled this out like this.  The rest of the suggestions are kind of more nice to have but not having the ability to manipulate how the VM's are listed and exlcude non-running VM's make this feature almost useless for me.  Maybe if I was running smaller hosts where I was running less than 10 VM's on a single host this feature wouldn't be much of a issue.  As it stands right now the VMware monitoring part has potential but isn't ready for a Enterprise level ESX cluster environment monitoring.  This feature has great potential and I will look forward to seeing how the SolarWinds team improves this in the future.