2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 12:47 PM by sgreath

Monitor NTP on a Solaris server

sgreath

Has anyone put together a creative solution to monitoring the time on a solaris server (any server for that matter)?  We have a couple that use NTP, but the process will randomly lock up and cause drifting and some major issues with our systems. 

• Re: Monitor NTP on a Solaris server
          Yann

I found this from the expert-exchange website:http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Unix/Solaris/Q_22591073.html

- -----------question--------------------

In a default Solaris 10 installation, can we configure it to generate a SNMP trap if NTP sync fail?

If it is not possible in default Solaris 10 installation, can we do it with add on sun packages / third party products?

--------------answer--------------

if you are not running xntpd, but synchronize from crontab via 'ntpdate', it's possible with:

ntpdate x.x.x.x || snmptrap -v 1 -c community  y.y.y.y _other_parameters_

for parameters read 'man snmptrap'. You should have OID for 'NTP failure' event' defined in SNMP.

If you are using xntpd, the problem becomes more complex.

HTH,

Yann

• Re: Monitor NTP on a Solaris server
              sgreath

Thanks for checking.  Unfortunatley, we are using xntpd.  I have been searching for any type of NTP MIB for Solaris and I can't find anything.  Any guru's out there that can think of another way I can monitor my servers to make sure their times are sync'd with the NTP source?