This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

"Interface Caption" auto update?

I could have sworn it used to do this, but it doesn't appear to be any more.  Doesn't Orion update the interface caption when the description on the interface is updated?  Is there a way to do this?

If not, that would be a nice feature to add, and fairly simple to do I would think.   Have a checkbox for each interface caption, have the default set to auto-update the caption when the description changes, but if checked, allow you to manually set it where it won't change...

• It used to auto update, doesn't any more.  I wrote a SQL statement to do it that runs every 24 hrs. 
    Not sure why that went away...

Update Interfaces SET Caption=InterfaceName + '-' + InterfaceAlias WHERE InterfaceAlias != ''

As always, when messing with the DB, run a backup PRIOR to making any changes and you may need to stop all polling engines.

• It updates for me. I was watching yesterday (in Orion) when a third party was reconfiguring a switch - Cisco 2950.
    I received an Event notice: 

11/11/2008 02:28 PM  On node switch-xxx3 interface name was changed from FastEthernet0/4 - Frontend xx.xx.xx.xx to FastEthernet0/4 - Servername xx.xx.xx.xx FE

... when the interface was renamed.  The changed name then turned up in the Current Percent Utilisation of Each Interface resource.

Evaluating ver 9.1 w/ SP1
    stewie

•  Hmm...  One person say's it doesn't, the other says it does.  What is it supposed to do?  And if it can, how can I get it doing that again?

• It is supposed to auto-update interface captions. The caption is generated by a slightly complicated set of precedence rules involving the interface description, interface alias, and (for CatOS) the port name. And of course you are free to set the interface caption in Orion to whatever you want. When we detect a change to one of those items that feed in to the caption, we check to see if the current caption matches what would have been generated with the old values for description/alias/portname. If so, we replace it with the new generated caption. Otherwise we assume that it was modified by the user and leave it alone.

If you can see that Orion is detecting changes to description/alias/portname but is not updating the caption, then a likely cause is that Orion thinks (rightly or wrongly) that you have edited the caption. You can reset things by clearing out the interface caption (just set it to blank). Orion will immediately generate a caption for the interface in the usual way. At that point it should auto-update it for you going forward.

• good to know.  This broke for me when I updated to 9.0, but I have not updated to 9.1 yet, so...my implementation may be off in that area.

• We did have a problem with that in 9.0. It was fixed in 9.0 SP1 or SP2.

• Weird....I'm noticing this on 9.1 SP1 now.  A circuit ID change for us and on Orion it has the old name but the router has the new name.  What gives??

B

•  I'm going to open a ticket on this today.

BB

• We are updating a lot of interface descriptions as part of a full network tidy.. I have changed some today and they do not update in v10 sp1...

Is this correct? Monitoring 6,000 interfaces with no auto-update?