This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPMonitor 9 and Event monitoring (User Defined)

Hello to all,

I'm new here and to IPMonitor.  I want to be able to setup a monitor for an Event Viewer called Spam Sentinel.  It's anti-spam software for Lotus Domino/Notes.  When installed it gives you several Event Viewers that appear in the same area with System, Application, and Security Logs.  I had hoped that I would be able to use the "User Defined" portion of the event viewer monitor setup, but am unable to figure it out (if it's indeed even possible).  Anyone out there have experience using the "user defined" choice in the event area?

Thank you.

Jeff

• You can specify which log to monitor, and then the event types, codes, and/or text.

I am doing this to alert of a modem fails, or even if  print job fails.

What events are you trying to monitor, and in what cases do you want an alert?

• This log shows up in Event Viewer just like the System, Application, and Security logs...but it is called "Scanner1 SpamSentinel".  I'm trying to get an alert on any error.

When I try to setup the monitor, there are choices for the normal 3 logs, additional choices for DC's or DNS server logs, and then there is this user defined choice...I was hoping to be able to utilize that, but cannot find any real documentation on how to use it exactly.

Thank you for the reply...

• So I tried this and it worked for me.

Test:  See the TrapService Warning event on an Orion NPM Server.

Windows Event Log Monitor:

Added Credentials for Monitoring, which has rights to the server and the event logs.

Set Event Area to User Defined: SolarWinds.Net

Set up Event Type to Warning

It was able to connect to the server and show me the events in Preview.

What error are you getting?

• Unable to open Event Log "Scanner1 SpamSentinel" on "fs4.dldomain.com". Reason: The Credential Database is not available

Thank you again...

• Jshrum,

If you click the "Configuration" tab and then go to "Credential List", do you see an error at the top of this page?

Let me know.

Fodome

• Yes...it's saying the service account needs to be reset...have tried that with a domain admin service account...no luck so far.  Any suggestions?

• Jshrum,

The bottom of the following post has instructions to fix this:

Let me know if this works for you or not.

Sincerely,

Fodome

• Yes...thank you.  The error is gone.  Now I'll retry my monitor and I'll post the outcome.

Again, thank you very much!

• Ok...this is great!  It worked...thank you very much for all the help.  Just to let you know what you helped me do is react to Spam Sentinel losing contact with the Domino server (when that happens email stops flowing).  Up until now, I had no way of seeing that unless I constantly checked the log...more often than not, I'd hear about it from a user (expecting an email and not getting it in a timely fashion).

Best regards...