This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Automatic Restart of services using external process

Hi

I'm trying to run my executable if my intranet goes down by trigging an alert to the external process to pass the comand to the external process and lunch the executable wich it contains all the commands to kill the services and them restart if my monitor is down.  can you please help me with this.

Some how is not working I create an alert but do not know what will be the value.

I create my executable inetrestart.exe

Executable Name: inetrestart.exe
Directory: \\server\path\script\
Command Line Parameters:
Startup Directory: \\server\path\script\
Set Environment Variables
1- Variable Name:
2- Variable Value:

Expected Return Value: 0

thanks

• Hi Pirulo,

It appears you are trying to get the executable to run on the remote system.  This would be like going to start -> run and running \\server\path\script\inetrestart.exe.  No matter how hard you try, the exe will always run on the box you are on.

In order to have the exe run on the remote system, you will need to run a utility such as psexec (for Windows) or plink (for Unix) which will login to the remote system and run the exe on that system.  You would then configure the External Process Action with the following parameters:

Executable Name: psexec.exe
    Directory: c:\path_to_psexec\
    Command Line Parameters: \\server -u [user] -p [pwd] [cmd]
    Startup Directory: c:\path_to_psexec\

For more on psexec: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

For more on plink: https://support.ipmonitor.com/tutorials/87e850d80ba04a149745898e31ccb7c9.aspx

Hope this puts you in the right direction.

Chris Foley

• I did what you said but I'm a little confused because

I create a external process to trigger right after my intranet goes down

right now the "external process" in in warn state why is that it suppossed to be in green state is not right?

how it will know when to lunch I'm a little out of focus in this.

if you can tell me what is the different bewteen "external process" and "add action ==> external process"

thanks