2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 9:48 AM by rlawsha

Cisco 4506 switch - no data

rlawsha

Have a Cisco 4506 switch but I can't seem to get data to NetFlow. I have installed the NetFLow card in the switch and configured everything but no data gets to Orion NetFlow. I have the following command in our switch, am I missing anything?

ip flow-export source GigabitEthernet5/1
      ip flow-export version 5
      ip flow-export destination 10.10.245.1 2055

My NetFlow collector service is up. I have the interface selected. On the switch if you do a sho ip flow export you see this:

Flow export v5 is enabled for main cache
        Exporting flows to 10.10.245.1 (2055)
        Exporting using source interface GigabitEthernet5/1
        Version 5 flow records
        3835549 flows exported in 127854 udp datagrams
        0 flows failed due to lack of export packet
        0 export packets were sent up to process level

running 12.2(25)ew IOS...

But still on the Orion web site in the NetFlow Traffic Analysis Summary area you still see LAST DATA RECEIVED: never

• Re: Cisco 4506 switch - no data
          kweise

Did you enable NetFlow on any of your interfaces?  The ip-flow export source only tells the switch switch interface to source the NetFlow traffic from.  If you do a show ip flow interface, it will list all the interfaces you have flow statements on.  To enable an inteface for Netflow, you go to config mode for the interface and enter ip flow ingress or ip flow egress.  (Some older version of IOS don't support ip flow ingress or ip flow egress.  For those version, the interface command is  ip route-cache flow.) 

Most of the Netflow configs I've done are on routers, switches work a bit differently.  You might need to put an ip route-cache flow statement in global config mode to enable Netflow.

One other thing to check.  The IP address of the Netflow source must match the IP address Orion is using to monitor the node.  If the source of your Gig 5/1 interface doesn't match the IP address in Orion, the Netflow module will never see the flow.

If all else fails, check the Cisco config guide chapter on Netflow here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/20ew/configuration/guide/nfswitch.html

Hope this helps.