This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion Speed Tweaks for the Web Interface

Some Minor Speed Tweaks

1. If you have anti-virus on those servers, try to enter the following exceptions to the real-time scanning options:

1. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data (or the location of the data files. You can find this in the database properties).

2. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Logs (or the location of the log files. You can find this in the database properties).

3. C:\Inetpub\SolarWinds (Location of your website).

4. C:\Program Files\SolarWinds (location of the Orion Install).
  2. Also, I would setup e-mail alerts that get sent out when a site goes down. I found that the best setting is to set the alert to send and e-mail out when the circuit has been down for 3 min, and then end out the reset after the circuit has been back up for 3 min. this eliminates issues where the circuit has a small hiccup and doesn't blast out alerts all day.

3. Open up your web console and click on admin, then on Web Console Settings. You can adjust the Map Cache Timeout and Report Cache Timeout settings to a higher number to eliminate having to re-query the database every time someone clicks on a link.  I found the best setting to be around 240 seconds for the 8 people that keep the website opened. It is still a little slow (7 seconds to open the main page with out the cache, and then less that 2 sec each click after that). It also dropped the CPU usage of both of my servers from always 100% to around 20% most of the time.

4. You may want to check the page file of the sever and make sure that it is set to the recommended for the start value, and the double it for the max value, if you have enough disk space.

5. Also you can check if the following settings are correct:

1. On the server, right click on My Computer and click properties, the click the Advanced tab of the System Properties box

2. Then select Settings under the Performance area. On the Performance options, choose "Adjust for Best performance" apply that.

3. Then click on advanced tab, you want adjust for best performance of: Background Services checked and under memory usage, you want System Cache checked.

4. The Virtual memory section is where you want to adjust the page file by clicking on Change. That will open the Virtual Memory box.

5. Click on each drive and either choose System managed size or enter Initial Size and make it the recommended value then double that number for Maximun Size and click set.

6. Then choose the next drive and enter the same settings (if you have more that one drive). Click on OK on the Virtual Memory box, then OK the Performance Options box, Then OK the System Properties box. this will ask you to reboot for the changes to take effect. If you have any Basic Alerts or Advanced alerts setup, I would turn them off before rebooting, otherwise you will get a ton of alerts after rebooting the SQL server.