38 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 9:44 AM by HemiTruck

Microsoft Hyper-V

jkeberle

I havent dug into any mibs yet, but is it possible to give same style of page for Hyper-V hosting servers as you now have for ESX?

• Re: Microsoft Hyper-V
          Yann

This should be possible. However you will only have the UnDP resources compared to the dedicated resources developed for VMware ESX Servers.

You can use the MIBs from SNMP Informant and then create Universal Device Pollers.

http://www.wtcs.org/informant/OS/OS-overview.htm#WMI_Provider_for_Virtual_Server

http://www.wtcs.org/informant/mibs.htm

Once you have your UnDP ready to use, you can create a dedicated view for Hyper-V server. I do not have a Hyper-V server atm to test that...

Let us know how you progress

mturner

Hi

We also use HyperV on a huge scale ( 18 HyperV hosts with 22 guests on each) ive been waiting over a year now for NPM and APM to work properly with HyperV (NPM doesn't register RAM in HyperV hosts properly, bug reported last year) but i have seen no improvements.

My maintenance is due up early next year, if i don't see an improvement were be dumping solarwinds and using SCOM R2

denny.lecompte

We also use HyperV on a huge scale ( 18 HyperV hosts with 22 guests on each) ive been waiting over a year now for NPM and APM to work properly with HyperV (NPM doesn't register RAM in HyperV hosts properly, bug reported last year) but i have seen no improvements.

My maintenance is due up early next year, if i don't see an improvement were be dumping solarwinds and using SCOM R2

What's your Ticket #?  I'll check on it....

denny.lecompte

We're looking at the Hyper-V issue you mention.

chris.lapoint

The broader Hyper-V infrastructure monitoring is what we're referring to as something we're working on longer-term.   However, if we're not reporting RAM on Hyper-V hosts properly, then that's something we'd like to look into now.  

Do you happen to have the case # for the bug you opened?   I'd like to dig into this.

chris.lapoint

The broader Hyper-V infrastructure monitoring is what we're referring to as something we're working on longer-term.   However, if we're not reporting RAM on Hyper-V hosts properly, then that's something we'd like to look into now.  

Do you happen to have the case # for the bug you opened?   I'd like to dig into this.

chris.lapoint

chris.lapoint

chris.lapoint

chris.lapoint

chris.lapoint

Add another one to the list for Hyper-V support!

smcdonald

Hi there,
                                  Is there any progress on getting proper Hyper-V support in NPM yet?  I've gone from 1 HyperV hosts to 6 in the last month and while I do have access to tools like MS VMM etc I really want to try and keep things under the one roof of Orion as much as I can.  Really need the kind of support we have for VMWare but for HyperV.  Any news on where in the roadmap this is?

Thanks,
                                  Sean

bshopp

For native support in NPM like we have for VMWare, this is still on our list to add in a future release.  It is not planned for the next release, this I can tell you for sure at this point.  Many of our customers are able though to use APM to monitor this infrastructure.

gslavov

Hi there,

I see that another year has passed since the last update on this. Has there been any further progress with adding support for Hyper-V? We are rapidly deploying Hyper-V nodes throughout our infrastructure and need to make a decision soon on whether we stay with Orion or move to SCOM.

Thanks

George