This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ESX 3.0.2 showing AOK on ESX Server Details but not 3.0.5

FormerMember
FormerMember

Suggestions?

I see all my 3.0.2 data on the ESX Server Details page but no 3.0.5 servers data. In system manager they all show up with the VMware logo. However the mibs are different.

3.0.2 - 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.60.1.3.0.2
3.0.5 - 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.60.1.3.5.0

• Hi,

We have the 3.5.0 in our lab and everything is visible.  Perhaps a MIB walk would help me debug your issues. 

Are you seeing the ESX Details page for the 3.5.0 server and the data isn't being populated properly, or are you just seeing the regular Node Details page?  If this is the case, then you need to set your settings to view "by device type" for the Node Details View.

Also, we have found that some customers need to make the VMConfigFile column in the VirtualMachines table be a varchar(250) in order to see all of the VMs on an ESX server.

Please let me know if any of these work for you or if we need to dive deeper.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Karlo.Zatylny

We have (1) 3.0.2 ESX server and (5) 3.0.5 ESX servers. On the ESX Details page I am only seeing the data from the 3.0.2 ESX server. But in order for that to display I need to put a "view limitation" in which I am doing by Group of Machine Type and then selecting VMware ESX Server.

I also checked and I have the VMConfigFile column and it is fully populated. My VirtualMachines table has over 100 rows in it of correct servers.

If I go to Views by Device Type and then look down at the VMware ESX Server the web view is set to ESX Server Details.

When I click on an ESX server what views should I see on the returned page? Mine looks just all all the other server pages as far as CPU memory, etc.

• So when you click on an ESX server to view the Node Details, you should see the new ESX details page in 9.1.

If you are only seeing this page for one of your servers, then it is probably time to call support and have them either get diagnostics for the developers or hopefully identify the root cause of your problem.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Karlo.Zatylny

Thanks I have case #65949 created.

• I am using 3.5.0 and have the veiws by device type set to ESX Server Details for everything VMWare. I have custom pollers set up for ESX that work just fine but just don't look that pretty. What I am getting is just the vanilla Node Details view when looking at any ESX server. I even tried rebooting the server a couple of times and made a fresh pot of coffee for good measure. Open to new ideas now.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to meklaar777
    I am using 3.5.0 and have the veiws by device type set to ESX Server Details for everything VMWare. I have custom pollers set up for ESX that work just fine but just don't look that pretty. What I am getting is just the vanilla Node Details view when looking at any ESX server. I even tried rebooting the server a couple of times and made a fresh pot of coffee for good measure. Open to new ideas now.

Are you using NPM 9.1?  You don't need custom pollers to get this functionality in 9.1.

• Sorry. Yes I upgraded yesterday from 9.0 where I created the cutsom pollers.

• Are you just seeing the regular Node Details page for your ESX server?  If this is the case make sure that for your username that the Node Details View setting on the Edit Account page is set to "By Device Type".

Also, make sure that under Views By Device Type (Admin -> Views -> Views By Device Type)  - in the Nodes section the VMware ESX Server drop down is set to "ESX Server Details".

If this is all right, then make sure that your ESX servers are responding to the VMware MIBs by doing a MIB walk or MIB view.

Please let me know if this was your issue.

Thanks

• Thanks. Your first paragraph corrected things things nicely.