10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2008 12:28 PM by denny.lecompte

Moving Orion to New 64bit Server

ecornwell

Hello,

We're looking at moving our Orion install from Windows 2003 32bit to 64bit.  We are currently running NPM with APM, VoIP Monitor, and NTA with NCM and EOC on the same server.  Our install is pretty fresh as we have recently purchased the product.  We haven't fully put it into production yet so we feel now is a good time to do the move.  I read the migration document but we are going to leave the server name and IP the same.  Are we going to run into issues?  Are we still going to reset the license information?  I know we'll need to backup the maps and reports, is there anything else we'll need to consider?

Thanks!

• Re: Moving Orion to New 64bit Server
          Craig Norborg

I was about to do it a couple months ago, but when it got down to the nitty gritty as to how to do it, it wasn't quite as easy as I thought.  After inquiring further to the techs, they told me the main piece that benefits alot from 64bit is the Enterprise SQL Server, not the polling/website engines and that it probably wasn't worth doing it unless you were bringing a server up from scratch...

Just an FYI!

ecornwell

Thanks for your response! 

We're mainly doing it because we don't have too much experince with 64bit and we need some servers to test with.  Since our Orion install is fairly new and supports 64bit we thought it might be a good fit. 

ecornwell

I was just told by our server group that the new servers will be ready next week.  Any one have any other things to look for when it comes to moving?  I want to do my best to get the servers up and running the same as they are today as fast as possible.  I found some things about EOC that will need to be moved that will be very helpful. 

We're running:
                  NPM 9.1 SP1
                  NTA 3 SP4
                  APM 2 SP2
                  VoIP Monitor 2 SP3
                  NCM 5.0 SP2
                  EOC SP2

There are a few things that I know I need to move... Custom Map backgrounds, any custom views added, etc..  I don't want to miss the things like the files and cert needed for EOC.

Thanks!

Yann

The Orion website needs IIS to run in 32bits mode, the .Net Frameworks installed must be the 32 bits versions as well. You might get an error during the configuration wizard while installing the webconsole: "Failure Updating Script Maps - The error indicates that IIS is in 64 bit mode, while this application is a 32 bit application and thus not compatible.". In case you get the error here is what you will need to do:

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435

To run the 32-bit version of ASP.NET 2.0, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
                      2.Type the following command to enable the 32-bit mode:
                      cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1
                      3.Type the following command to install the version of ASP.NET 2.0 (32-bit) and to install the script maps at the IIS root and under:
                      %SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
                      4.Make sure that the status of ASP.NET version 2.0.50727 (32-bit) is set to Allowed in the Web service extension list in Internet Information Services Manager.

Then Re-run the configuration wizard and it should be ok.

was a FYI if you face the issue.

Yann