3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2008 5:07 PM by freemen

How can I suppress duplicate alerts?

freemen

How can I configure iPMonitor to suppress or delay additional alerts on a recurring event? For instance, if I have configured an alert to trigger when a certain event occurs, but the event may occur several times on the same device in a given period of time, is there any way to tell iPMonitor to only trigger the alert, say, every 15 minutes (on the same device) rather than each time it may happen?

Thanks for the help.

• Re: How can I suppress duplicate alerts?
            SRegan

Great Question Freeman,

The answer to your question is yes!  You see, IpMonitor performs scheduled tests against target nodes on fixed time cycles based on the present state of a given monitor.  Once ipMonitor runs a test and receives a response from a target,  it than waits patiently before performing that same test again.   This "wait time" between each test is called "Delays between test while....up, warn, down & lost (respectively)".  You can set the wait time for each of these potential "states" for each monitor individually.  The default value for all of these settings is 5 minutes, which is expressed as "300 seconds" in the software itself.   Now that we understand that each monitor is tested on a predictable schedule we can adjust the frequency that a test is performed and thereby change how often a monitor will obtain a new status and effectively control when it can report (alert for) a "Down" state (when indeed it is actually "down").   So, lets say you only want to get alerted every 15 minutes during a period that a monitor is truely "down", as this seems to be the question you proposed.   Simply changing the "Delay between tests while Down" for that monitor from 300 seconds to 900 seconds will achieve this desired outcome.   To see how this works graphically,  you can click on "Downtime Simulator" in the tool bar at the top of any monitor's properties page and you can see (from top to bottom) what a failiure cycle will look like for that monitor based on all of the present monitor's settings.  This failure cycle will show you the delays between each test,  the instances when alerts will be fired off and how many test will be performed in each state before progressing to the next state.