This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Remove 'drop-down' Groupings

In System Manager, the drop-down list (which by default reads: No Grouping) is being used to classify our devices by type and location.  The complaint I receive is that the list is far too long, with options that we will never use.

I cannot find where to remove the groupings list, and leave just the categories important to us.

Any thoughts?
Much obilged,

Mike

•  Related, but different request.  In the "System Manager" on the server, it allows for grouping via SNMP "Location".  But it does not on the web-server.   I was able to modify the code on the server to add "Location" quite easily, but I'd love for this to be added into the release version.  I've already had to repair the server once since I did it the first time, so I had to go back in and add it in again...

Grouping by Location is our default and everyone prefers to use that setting.

• mikearama, the list of groupings in System Manager is not customizable.

cnorborg, which grouping list are you referring to? The node tree on the summary view, web node management, or something else? Also, which version are you on?

•  It would be "Web Node Management", the new website based way of adding/managing nodes.   9.0SP2 is the version I'm using.

Another odd thing that you might want to fix that doesn't matter to me, is on the main web-server/polling-engine, I get "Custom Properties" in my dropdown to sort nodes by.   We have an "additional web server" that doesn't get the custom nodes in its dropdown.   Luckily we don't usually need to sort by those when working with the website.   At least at this time.

• In 9.1 we added Location (and Contact and maybe some others) to web node management.

For your additional web server, it sounds like your schema files didn't get updated properly for your custom properties. If you run Custom Property Editor on the web server, add a temporary dummy property and then delete it, it will update the schema files and the custom properties should start showing up in the web.

•  Hmm...  Am I missing something?   There is a "Custom Property Editor" on the "Additional Web Server"?   I know I have a custom property editor on my primary polling system that is available via logging into the system via RDP or whatever.   But I haven't seen a "Custom Property Editor" either on the website or by logging into my "Additional Web Server" via RDP?

• It may not be on the start menu on the additional web server, but it should be in your installation directory (usually \Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion). Look for CustomPropertyEditor.exe.

•  No such luck.   There is a CustomPropertyEditor.cfg, but no CustomProperty editor application.

You know, in looking at the release notes, one thing I forgot to do was update to 9.0SP2 on the AWS and it does update that file.  However, I just tried applying the SP2 file and its telling me that its only for licensed versions of Orion 9.0.  "Error: This service pack is for licensed versions of SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor 9.0."   If I go to the license details it does show our license and that we're on V9 and such.   I even went an downloaded a new copy of the SP and am getting the same message.

We did have a problem when we initially installed V9, our AWS maintenance had expired somehow, so you gave us a temporary key.  When that expired it wouldn't take the new license, so I had to do a full uninstall/install and it took our permanent license ok.

Any ideas?

• Not sure what's going on with your web server. Something seems to be funky with your license keys - the installed software knows it's licensed, but the update is confused. Your options as I see them: (1) call support and get them to beat 9.0 SP2 into submissions or (2) wait for us to finish up 9.1 SP1 which will resolve the map/tree status rollup thing and then move your systems to 9.1.