5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 10:29 AM by Fodome

custom wmi monitors

Hi,

is it possible to create custom wmi monitors like with snmp?

If yes could you describe it to me?

Or is there another workthrough to get custom wmi values?

Regards, bgf

• Re: custom wmi monitors
          Yann

Hi bgf,

The module Application Performance Monitor can let you query any WMI class you need through several type of monitors. Orion itself without that module cannot query WMI classes.

Let us know if you have APM and need more details on how to query a custom WMI class.

R,

Yann

No, we dont have APM, without it it isn't possible to gather other wmi data except this from the predefined monitors?

Especially i am interrested in viewing the memory page faults/sec, is there no other possibility than purchasing another product?

Yann

Sorry I though we were talking about Orion (I read too quickly).

in ipMonitor like in Orion (without APM) you cannot specify a custom WMI counter either however you have the possibility to use external scripts with the "external process" monitor type.

You can easily write a vbscript that will query a specific WMI class and ask to ipMonitor to run that script periodically.

Your script will have to return a value such as 0 (up) or 1(down) when exiting. I pasted below a sample vbscript that you can modify to match what you need to get from your custom WMI class.

strComputer = wscript.arguments(0)
                  strUser = wscript.arguments(1)
                  strPassword = wscript.arguments(2)

Set objSWbemLocator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
                  Set objWMIService = objSWbemLocator.ConnectServer (strcomputer, "root\cimv2", strUser, strPassword)

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
                      "WQL query")
                  For Each objItem in colItems
                  '... specify some code there to test the value of the counter and then to exit with a return code . e.g. wscript.quit(0)
                      End Select
                  Next

The page 93 of the administration guide gives you more information about the "External Process" monitor.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ipMonitor/docs/ipMonitorAdministratorGuide.pdf

If scripting is not your hobby then APM might be what you are looking for to poll some WMI Performance Counters of your choice.

HTH,

Yann