1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 12:52 PM by Fodome

how to configure downtime simulator?

freemen

How can I calculate the value to set for the test duration in the Downtime Simulator? I know that I need to allow enought time to reach the Lost state, but what formula do I use to determine how long that will be?

Thanks for the help.

• Re: how to configure downtime simulator?
          Fodome

Hi Freemen,

The test duration is the amount of time ipMonitor is willing to wait for a response to come back from the resource it is testing.  It is a time window between the  beginning of a test and the countdown until the next test.  For example, let's say we were pinging a device every 30 seconds and for some reason the ping request took 7 seconds to complete.  If you wanted to be notified after precisely 5 minutes of failure, you would need to factor 7 seconds to your formula.  Here's what I would recommend in this scenario:

• Timing while up: 140 seconds
          • Accumulated Failures per Alert: 3

As a result, it will test for 7 seconds, fail and count down 140 seconds = 147 seconds

It will then test again for 7 seconds, fail and count down 140 seconds = 294 seconds

It will then test again for 7 seconds, fail and start notifying = 301 seconds (5 minutes)

Does this help?

Chris Foley