This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is it possible to install NPM 9.0 on Virtual Server?

I just want to ask if the NPM 9.0 is possible to run on a Virtual Environment? Can anyone help me regarding this issue?

• We do virtually (ha!) all our testing on VMs. It's fully supported.

• Thanks for your reply, actually we are really using it in VE environment but what is bothering me is that sometimes when we restarted the hardware node the VE the polling engine stops and we see no graph in some of our monitored servers. Is this a bug of the program?

Our NPM is running on SWsoft VE container.

• We run two of 4 NPMs in Virtual Machine format on VMWare ESX and you can hardly tell the difference.

Best part about the VMWare VMs are that if we want to do patching or upgrade you can snapshot, do the upgrade and if something breaks you can roll back really easily and no harm done (might lose some statistic history but in our case no big deal)

Now you will want to make sure you check out your back end storage on the VM and make sure the I/O is ok for we are running into I/O problems on our SAN and the NPM does not like slow database transactions (nor does many database driven applications)

Other than that it works wonderfully.

•  Have you tried to install NPM 9.0 on SWsoft Virtuoso container? Is it compatible?

• We haven't tried running Orion on the SWsoft platform. Maybe someone in the community has?

• We had it install on SWsoft platform that is why I am just asking if you have tried it. So may be that is the case why I am getting that no graph values in some of our interfaces, maybe its the incompatibility of the VM to run the NPM.

May you do me a favor sir? Can you also try it in SWsoft platform to test my speculation?  

Thanks for the reply. 

•  Hello Tim,

May I ask, where can I get a list of compatible VM's (Virtual Machines) where in NPM 9.0 can run on?

• I don't think we have an Official Supported List, but I can tell you that we do a bunch of testing on VMware Workstation and ESX Server. Orion doesn't make any unusual demands of the hardware in terms of capabilities (I/O performance, on the other hand...)

I would expect that any virtualization platform complete enough to run Windows Server 2003 is complete enough to run Orion. If it's not working for you, I would look at environmental/setup issues first, product bugs second, and platform issues last.

Have you opened a support ticket for your issue?

• I have it installed on a Hyper-v VM in a clusterd scenario.  This is the front end only though.  It's backended on SQL 2005 Enterprise.