This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Stripping domain name from node on website?

If there isn't a way to do this, I'd love to see it added.   I want to strip out our domain name when its displayed pretty much anywhere.  The HTML really doesn't handle long names that well...   Seems simple enough, not sure if I missed an option like that somewhere or not...

The way other NMS systems handle this is you give it a list of domain names to strip out and it does it for you.  

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Craig,

Could you provide more context?  I'm not sure what it is you want to do.

•  Well, our domain name for network devices is ".network.us.bosch.com".    A switch sysname name might be something like this "ch1sw-101a-1-abs5l6-3".   So, in the node trees and elsewhere it displays as "ch1sw-1-101a-1-abd5l6-3.network.us.bosch.com", and quite often on the longer names I find it word-wrapping and such.   Since we're mainly monitoring devices that are on our network and part of that domain, I'd like to be able to strip it so it only shows the base name without the domain name on the website.  I know I could probably go edit it, but to try and edit 2000+ devices and keep it up to date would be a pain.   So I'd like to be able to only display the sysname and not the whole name (ie: sysname + domain name).

I definitely don't have any choice on the domain name.   The switches and such are named according to a naming standard we've developed over the years.

As we add more devices I might want to strip other domains too.  One I can potentially think of is devices in our DMZ that I monitor, they're on a different domain too...

So, I'd like to be able to give Orion a list of domain names to strip, that would be the best option.  I would give it ".network.us.bosch.com" and it would fix everything.

Either that or an option to use SysName instead of "SysName+DomainName", but I can see it would be useful to potentially still display some domain names...

• You can use a query like this to remove a string from all nodes:

UPDATE Nodes SET Caption=REPLACE(Caption, '.network.us.bosch.com', '')

Just change the string if you want to strip other stuff.

•     Hmm...   Talk about disappearing messages!!  Got a email notification of a reply on this thread which is no longer here!!   First to address this "solution".   I have had limited success in doing updates like these of the data in the Solarwinds database.  It might change it for a few minutes, but it always seems to go back the way it was before.   Not sure why,  I've even shut down the solarwinds poller while doing Database edits and it might work for awhile immediately after, but they almost always go back after awhile...

Re: the now gone response (where did it go?  I'll put a copy below).   I am thinking of this more as a feature request if there isn't a way to do it now.  I prefer to keep things as uncustomized as possible just because of the "config/repair" ramifications.   I'll do a fix if its promised to be in a future update, but not otherwise...

I really do think its a good feature to add, esp. if your courting "Enterprise" customers.   I know NetQoS has it in their product(s) just because of that.

Posted By: denny.lecompte in Orion Network Performance Monitor
    Subject: Re: Stripping domain name from node on website?

If you're williing to edit the aspx and ascx resources, you could change it now with:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Int index = name.IndexOf(“.”);
    If (index > 0)
       name = name.Substring(0, index);

But when you run a config or a repair, you'll have to re-edit.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to cnorborg

I feel your pain Craig.  I would like to see a global setting to enable/disable stripping of the domain as well as a checkbox to the enable/disable at the node level so you can be selective which node(s) you want the domain appended.

• Is this on the feature request list for NPM? I would like to see an option to strip the domain name in both NPM and NCM. The only reason I have domain names configured on these devices is because it is required for SSH. Please, please SW add this feature request to the list. I know that I am not the only one that wants this option in BOTH products.
  •  Yes, I know it would make things look a whole lot nicer for me for sure!!   I haven't heard whether its actually been added to the "official" feature request list, but I'm pretty sure unless they hear from a bunch of people that they want it, that it won't get any velocity to getting the request done.   Anyone else out there still want this?

• I'd like to see this feature added as well.  We have a naming convention here that can generate some crazy long host names. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kweise

I read every post on the forum, so you can consider it well and thoroughly requested.  It's in our DB.  As ever, no promises as to when we'll get it in, but I get the value the feature would have.

• I'd definitely like to give this script a shot. No offense, but has this been tested? I'm a network guy, not a DBA so I wouldn't know if this were the right script or not. As always, I should back up the database prior. Thanks.