This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

failed install orion npm 9.1

Install of Orion NPM 9.1 eval keeps failing.  Error log reports these final statements: 

10-15-2008 - 17:21:34 --     Entering RunMSIinstaller( "OrionInformationService.msi", "/i", "/q REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus", 1, "", "OrionInformationService.msi.log")
10-15-2008 - 17:21:34 --       Launching [msiexec.exe] with params of [/i "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Installers\OrionInformationService.msi" /q REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /log "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\OrionInformationService.msi.log"]
10-15-2008 - 17:31:37 --       Launch of [msiexec.exe] [/i "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Installers\OrionInformationService.msi" /q REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /log "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\OrionInformationService.msi.log"] succeeded, Now checking exit code...
10-15-2008 - 17:31:37 --     0 MESSAGE TO USER: Launch of [msiexec.exe] [/i "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Installers\OrionInformationService.msi" /q REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /log "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\OrionInformationService.msi.log"] failed, returning exit code of [1603]

Please contact Technical support.  Setup will now abort.

Any recommendations on how to overcome this?  Thanks for your help.

• Another error log reveals the following:

Action start 18:11:20: RegisterProduct.
    Action ended 18:11:20: RegisterProduct. Return value 1.
    Action start 18:11:20: PublishFeatures.
    Action ended 18:11:20: PublishFeatures. Return value 1.
    Action start 18:11:20: PublishProduct.
    Action ended 18:11:20: PublishProduct. Return value 1.
    Action start 18:11:20: InstallFinalize.
    MSI (s) (50:DC) [18:21:17:670]: Product: SolarWinds Orion Information Service -- Error 1920. Service 'SolarWinds Orion Information Service' (SWOrionInformationService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Error 1920. Service 'SolarWinds Orion Information Service' (SWOrionInformationService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
    Action ended 18:21:17: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    Action ended 18:21:17: INSTALL. Return value 3.

It says I do not have sufficient privileges to start system services, yet I have local admin on the server.  The server is a VM running Windows Server 2003, 2.93GHz, 2GB.  I installed IIS prior to install, and later installed WMI SNMP per other install manual prior to subsequent install attempt.  The server already has SQL Server installed as well.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bama226

Have you opened a support ticket.  This is probably not something we can easily solve on Thwack.

• Unfortunately, since we have not yet purchased Orion, I can't open a ticket, so I turned to the knowledge base and Thwack.  I was hoping for that "yes, seen that before, do the following to extricate."    I have a sales engineer who will be assisting me later today.  Hopefully, that'll get us up and running.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bama226

Bama226,

Dev took a quick look at your post, their best guess is that it's some kind of permissions issue.  If that doesn't seem right to you, then please contact Sales, and we'll get an SE to help you.

• Today, I attempted the same install logging onto the server locally with local admin and got the same failed results.  The install keeps failing at the point of trying to install the SolarWinds Orion Information Service.  After the 9.1 eval exe times out, I tried executing the OrionInformationService.msi afterward (saved off to separate folder), and it too times out.  Very nerve-racking.  I'm basically at a standstill and cannot move forward.  What should have been a simple point-and-click has turned into a 4-day disaster.

• I've progressed much further than when I made this last post.  I found the OIS was not started.  It failed due to net.tcp service not being started.  It failed to start due to login.  So, I set it to local system.  I started it and the OIS service and viola.

However, I'm now having problems with the website.  Getting the following error:

Website configuration failed:  
     •  Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed -  The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Any ideas?
  • 500 usually means an unhandled exception in the website code. If you look at \inetpub\solarwinds\OrionWeb.log you should see the exception message and stack trace. If you post that here I can help you figure out what's causing it.

•   Website configuration failed:  
     •  Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed -  The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Hey!.. I have the same exact error!, I installed 9.1 and got it... I re-installed 9.0 and no problem... Installed again 9.1 and same error.

I opened Case # 64073  and added Diagnostics before(9.0) and after(9.1)

I installed it again to look at \inetpub\solarwinds\OrionWeb.log  here are the 2 lines:

2008-10-18 02:02:19,156 [6] ERROR ASP.global_asax - Session_End
    2008-10-18 02:02:19,156 [6] ERROR ASP.global_asax - Application_End

I have also tried adding permissions to InetPub\SolarWinds, Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion, and Windows\Temp  folders

to Administrator and Solarwinds user... same error   =(               Back to 9.0

Windows 2003 Server

SQL 2005 Enterprise

Orion 9.0

• Tim,

Below are the contents of the file found at C:\Inetpub\SolarWindsNPM\bin\OrionWeb.log:

2008-10-17 19:47:18,309 [6] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Web.WebConfigUpdater - WebConfigUpdater: C:\InetPub\SolarWindsNPM\Orion, SolarWinds NetPerfMon

• Kevin and bama,

Since we didn't find your errors in OrionWeb.log, the next place to look would be the Application Event log. Specifically, look for errors where the source is ASP.NET.