This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting on bgp state

Sorry for being such a newbie when it comes to this, I've had about a week of looking at SolarWinds and it's all a blur.

I have this box (Tabular Universal Device Poller) which gives me all my bgp neighbor IPs and their current state.  See image: i33.tinypic.com/2d94bp3.jpg

I would like to setup alerting so it will email  me whenever any of those goes 'Idle'

Is this something SolarWinds can do?

• > Is this something SolarWinds can do?

This should not be a problem.

You will have to create an advanced alert to trigger an alert based on a Universal Device Poller.

• Start > All Programs > Solarwinds Orion > Advanced Alert Manager
    • Click on Configure Alerts
    • Click on new to configure a new alert.
    • Type a name for your new alert.
    • Select the Trigger Condition tab.
    • For the type of property to monitor select Custom Node Poller or Custom Interface Poller. this will filter the condition options you will be allowed to use.
    • Add two simple conditions by clicking on the three dots.

First condition will be

• Poller Name is equal to "Poller Name to select with the drop down button"

Poller name can be selected under Custom Node Pollers > Poller Name

Second condition will be

• Poller Status is equal/greater/less/etc. than "Value"

Poller Status can be selected under Custom Node Pollers > Status.

Once Selected this you can setup any alert actions you need by configuring the Trigger Actions tab.

Let us know if it works.

Yann

•  Thanks.    We're getting somewhere...

i38.tinypic.com/jf9q44.jpg

This is where I am.  I didn't know if I needed a Node Poller or Interface Poller.  I chose Node *shrug* 

Under Custom Node Pollers -> I don't see anything that shows my field of "bgpPeerRemoteAs - Label"

Think I figured it out, one moment...

•  Almost there, it's now reporting but the emails are useless.

Can you help with the syntax of the email?    I just want the subject to say Alert: BGP peer x.x.x.x    status

Example:

Alert: BGP peer 1.2.3.4  idle

• Looks like I cant only show the one that is idle, I'd have to show it all.

I'm fine with that, but still can't get it to work

• What exactly are you having trouble with and what work have you done so far?
  •  Just trying to get the email to be formatted correctly.

The subject should say : 

Alert: BGP session down: $routername

Body:

The SNMP results of the BGP peers

•  The following should do the trick:

Subject:

Alert: BGP session down: ${Node.Caption}

The SNMP result of this BGP Peer is: ${CustomPollerStatus.Status}

When you need a specific variable you can click on the Insert Variable button in the message tab of the Email/Page action and either use one of the built-in variables or query whichever field you need from the database. 

-Yann

• I am running into same issue.  It appears on get table data like BGP, if you have an Alert configured to alarm whenever a bgp status is not "established", if you try to pull out the row that is not established and display lets say, the IP address of the peer that is down....when you do that ALL the Ip address column values get pulled.  So you can't tell which peer is down on the node.  Anyone know how to pull out individual rows of a get table column based on another columns value.  For this example the standard bgp mib where if bgp neighbor status is not "established" send an alert with the IP of the bgp peer that is down.

• We're getting there.

The subject was:  Alert: BGP session down: bbr1.nyc1

The body was:

The SNMP result of this BGP Peer is: established, established, established, established, idle, established, established, established, established, established, established, established, established, established, established, established, established

Not too informative.   I prefer it told me what router, and which peer was down.

•  Hi -

Anyone know how to fix the email?