This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Improving NPM Performance

Hello:  Is there anyway to improve the responsiveness of Orion?  We run SQL on another server already.  Should we run IIS on another box too and leave the Orion box to poll only?

Thanks.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Can you give us more detail on what's not responding?  It is polling?  Is it the web console?  If the latter, which pages? 

• Sure.  The polling seems fine, it is the webpages.  Pretty much all of them take awhile.

For example, I click switch in my all nodes (ajax) tree and it took about 10 seconds to show them.  Then I click one of them and it took about anopther 10 seconds for the node details to show up.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jgizel

How many nodes?  How many interfaces?  What are your database specs?   Are you using APM or NetFlow?  Give us as detailed a picture as you can, and I and the broader community can probably provide some guidance.

• We have about 240 nodes and about 963 interfaces.  We are also using APM and Netflow.  The srver is running Server 2003 R2 and has 2 GB of ram and dual Xeon cpus at 2.9 Ghz. The DB server is running SQL standard edition.  It has 8 GB of ram.

Thanks

• More information on the DB Server specs would be helpful since in my experience that's where the bottleneck is. Processors, how many, RAID type, number of physical disks in the array, etc. Also is this DB server dedicated to Orion or does this SQL server also service other databases?

As a side experiment on the Orion server stop the NetFlow service and test your website performance when you're not collecting netflow data. Report back your findings.

• Stopping Netflow had no impact.  The DB guy, rather than provide the information requested, will provide me with a dedicated SQL server for Orion.  I will let you know the results when it happens.

• I have the same problem. But i have a dedicated SQL server, the poller and website are on the same box. All pages are slow. I am able to clear the cache and try to open each of the items on the home page and they all load is less than 2 sec. including the maps. Would like to know what the fix it. The specs are as follows:

Poller and web server: Intel Xeon 2.33GHz with 1GB RAM. With Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 standard Edition Service Pack 2.

SQL Server: Intel Xeon 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM. With Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 standard Edition Service Pack 2.

connected to the same Cisco 6509 via 2GB port channels.

•  Anyway to improve the amount of time it takes for the NetPerfMon service to get the memory it needs to run?  This is taking a very long time and pretty much makes my Orion server useless while its in this stage.

• do you have Orion on a dedicated server?