2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 11:12 AM by jgizel

Need to schedule polls and a better way of scheduling alerts

The ability to schedule polling on a per device basis is non-existent and on alerts is very crude.  Many financial firms have servcies that shut down briefly after US markets close and before overseas markets open.  I am told to simply disable the alerts during those periods.  It is a waste of resources to poll devices you know will be down simply to have the alerter ignore the polls.  Additionally, to set up an alert that does not poll M-F 4:30-445 takes about two alerters and then add Sunday-well, you see where this all leads to!

Your competitors (I am a consultant and work with many products) have solved this problem with a simple day and time grid.  Even World of Warcraft Parental Controls has this!

Thanks.

• Re: Need to schedule polls and a better way of scheduling alerts
          denny.lecompte
          The ability to schedule polling on a per device basis is non-existent and on alerts is very crude

But you can schedule status and statistics polliing on a per-device basis.  Is there some element I'm missing?

Many financial firms have servcies that shut down briefly after US markets close and before overseas markets open.  I am told to simply disable the alerts during those periods.  It is a waste of resources to poll devices you know will be down simply to have the alerter ignore the polls. 

So unmanaging doesn't work?  I kind of get what you're looking for, but I want to be sure.

Even World of Warcraft Parental Controls has this!

If we made Orion as additive as WoW, there are all kinds of features that we'd prioritize differently.