25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 5:00 PM by simonpt

IPM 8.x / 9.x does not pick up changes with daylight savings.

The daylight savings start date changed this year for Australian states. We have many servers based in Australia, and we have found that maintenance is 1 hour late to start. This is causing all our servers to alert.

Our IPM8.5 server is based on the US east coast, and it did not recognize changes to DST even though we patched the server.

I have been working with the Solarwinds support team on this issue and it has been found to be a bug.  It will be addressed in the next service pack for 9.x.  Unfortunately, it appears that no more patches/service packs will be released for 8.x, which means, 8.x is not actually supported.  This is very disapointing for us.

• Re: IPM 8.x / 9.x does not pick up changes with daylight savings.

I was working with the support team, but now they will not answer my emails.

simonpt

You're not alone.  I have a case logged for New Zealand daylight saving time changes that were brought in over 12 months ago.  I logged the call in March and I was advised that a 'bug' has been opened with the development team but have heard nothing since.  They also won't reply to my emails.  Talk about unprofessional.

Here's an excerpt from the unanswered email I sent last month which shares some light on how trivial this would be to fix:

Many daylight saving changes occurred around the world last year.  Our other software vendors put a lot of effort in to make sure their solutions would work correctly with the new daylight saving rules.  For example, here is Microsoft's knowledge base article which lists 35 daylight saving changes included in their August 2007 cumulative update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360/en-us.

I'm disappointed that six months after I logged this bug and one year after our new daylight saving rules came into effect there is still no fix from SolarWinds for ipMonitor.  I'm even more disappointed to discover today that ipMonitor has an internal database for daylight saving rules (see http://support.ipmonitor.com/faqs/6220a21099e14beba582569d3d913bc3.aspx) so there are no software changes required -- just an update to a record.

Rgds, Simon

mark wiggans

Simon-

Thanks for bringing this up. It looks like an error on our end here. I'll see if the DEV team might have a workaround for you.

simonpt

Thanks Mark.  I appreciate your assistance.

The support team gave me the following work around.

"The workaround is to just schedule the maintenance to run one hour early"

simonpt

"The workaround is to just schedule the maintenance to run one hour early"

Wow, not much of a workaround, is it?  What if you have lots of schedules?  Besides, having incorrect daylight saving rules also throws off reporting data and graphs by an hour which creates lots of confusion when trying to troubleshoot network problems.

Today we find out that SolarWinds quietly slipped out a minor release (9.02 Build 1245) a month ago.  A couple of fixes for SEP and Firefox compatibility issues, but no daylight saving fixes mentioned.

I honestly don't get it.  It's been over a year since most other software vendors incorporated the raft of 2007 daylight saving changes in their products, it's been over six months since I logged a call with SolarWinds to fix this, and now we're told to wait until Ver 9.1, which will be when?  Next year??  That will be a full 18 months after the event.  And for what?  A small one line change in an internal timezone database?  For goodness sake, tell me where the database is and I'll fix it myself.

Is an update from the dev team available?  Do they have a recommendation/fix for this issue?

chris.lapoint

Thanks for your posts.  We're working on a 9.0.4 that will resolve these issues. 

Thanks for your posts.  We're working on a 9.0.4 that will resolve these issues. 

So even though this issue was raised during the 8.5 support period, a patch will not be released for that environment?

chris.lapoint
                                            Since 9.0 was released 10 months ago, we cannot afford to back date all fixes into the 8.5 environment.  The only exception would be if there was a major security issue discovered on that train.

What is the target date for the release of 9.0.4?

chris.lapoint

We're scoping that right now.   We hope it will be within the next month.

simonpt

We're running IPM 9.05 and we're currently in the extended daylight saving period that was added in our country a year or two ago.  This week I was wondering why reports, graphs, scheduled maintenance, etc. seemed off -- then I realised that we're still seeing all the same daylight saving issues that were supposedly fixed in 9.04!  I've logged yet another case with SolarWinds support (86923) but I honestly don't know if it will make a difference.

Words cannot describe my levels of frustration with SolarWinds.  They've taken what was, and in many ways is still an excellent product, and they've put a stranglehold on all meaningful development including bug fixes.  (I've reported seven bugs over the last year that were going to be fixed in the "next release", absolutely none of which have been fixed.)  Now they've repositioned IPM as an "up/down monitor" and adjusted the pricing/licensing to suit.  This may be good news to new IPM customers, but it totally disenfranchises customers like us who, a year ago, were tossing up between IPM and WhatsUp Gold (WUG) and decided that IPM represented better value for money.  To see IPM now languishing, perhaps going backwards, while WUG is enjoying massive development and a plethora of new advanced features is really disappointing.

Fellow Thwackers:  Anyone else feeling like I am?

SolarWinds:  My confidence in you would be restored at least somewhat if you did the following:

1. Develop an urgent fix for the daylight saving issues that were supposedly fixed in 9.04.
                                                        2. In the next minor release, fix the other six bugs I've reported over the last year.
                                                        3. Be more transparent with your existing customer base about IPM's product positioning.  If you're deliberately widening the gap between IPM and WUG and we shouldn't be comparing the two products anymore (even though we once could), please tell us.
                                                        4. Share with us your roadmap for the future of IPM (we'll sign non-disclosures if required).  If IPM doesn't have a prosperous future, I'd rather know now.

Thanks - Simon

This is quite disappointing.  I am currently in the process of upgrading to 8.5 to 9.05. 

Can someone at SolarWinds please confirm this and let us know what is going on with IPM and DST changes?

bshopp

Simon,

Let me first introduce myself, I will be taking over Product Management duties for ipMonitor from Chris.  He is not leaving the company, so he will still be around on Thwack and in the Solarwinds communnity.  I am sorry to hear of your frustrations and I will address each item in order below based on your post.

1. Our Support team has already reached out to you to discuss and investigate this further.  Based on the steps to reproduce we had in the original defect, we were not able to reproduce this on 9.0.5.
                                                              2. We are actively working on addressing defects with each release.  I will contact you offline to review your filed defects and get a level of importance to you so I understand your priority.
                                                              3. Both ipMonitor and WUG are what you “cut your teeth on” as you start monitoring your network.  We position these capabilities as basic/up down monitoring, which hopefully makes the positioning clear to customers.   We see many customers outgrow these basic up/down monitoring solutions and move to our Orion family of products for distributed scalability, modularity, and performance-based monitoring.  So, I think what you’re seeing with WUG is them chasing after Orion and trying to optimize around too many different user types.   We don't beleive you can do this well with just one product as WUG is attempting to do.  Just to be clear, this is not where we’re taking ipMonitor.  Our future enhancements for ipMonitor will be geared towards around making its core value proposition of basic up/down monitoring more apparent – easier to use, better value, more built-in monitors, etc.
                                                              4. Let's also discuss this offline

Look forward to chatting with you.