4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 9:52 AM by Karlo.Zatylny

Validate SNMP Issue

BryanBecker

Not sure if anyone sees this same issue or not.  When I go to Manage Nodes and try validate SNMP the tests always come back failed.  Yet if I'm in Systems Manager and do the same thing it's successful.   Anyone have that issue?

BB

• Re: Validate SNMP Issue
          lchance

just reviewed mine and it works OK w/Orion v9.0 SP2 and IE 7

...i'm just curious, but if you're using IE 7, in your IE settings, do you have your tab for CONTENT set disabled for auto-complete?

...that is my suspect to cause something like this with FORMS.

Karlo.Zatylny

The way that this works is that the web page tells one of our polling engines to send out a simple SNMP request (get SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0).  Depending on your set up, you are allowed to select from one of your engines (if you have only one, then you aren't given the choice).  If we get a response, then this is how we define a successful audit.

So, the first level of sanity things to check on is reachability from your polling engine (usually where Orion is installed) versus where you are running system manager from.  Also, firewalls, enabling SNMP on the device, and the correct community strings are a general consideration, although probably not an issue in your case.

If the validate is intermittent, then we may be looking at a timing issue.  However, if you are able to add the device with SNMP enabled (i.e. the device is correctly identified) through System Manager and not the web, then please open a ticket so we can get diagnostics and a wireshark trace from your machines (if possible).

If you run the network trace yourself, you can easily filter by SNMP and see the request going out.  No response means we won't validate properly.

BryanBecker
                I looked at this again.  If I go to a node and edit properties I do not see anywhere to select a poller to test from.  I see that when adding a node....not editing one.  I do see where it says engine : XYZ.  That is the correct poller where the device is being managed from.  Like I said if I terminal server into that poller and validate SNMP it works.  So where is the snmp test ran from in this scenario? 

BB