3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 6:36 PM by denny.lecompte

Orion Reporting + Crystal Reports

Stacy Patten

Hello,

I am wading my way through Crystal Reports because of the lack of features in the Orion Report Writer and would request of anybody who already has reports being generated through Crystal could post some of thier work?  I am not familiar with Crystal and this has become a bit of a painful process.  The particular information I am looking for would generate a table of availability for two custom properties over the course of weeks of the year and would then hope to export that into Excel.

Country     Site type      Week1     Week2     Week3    Week4    Week5

US               HQ            99.54      100.00       99.99     100.00     99.55

Thanks in advance!!!!

Stacy

• Re: Orion Reporting + Crystal Reports
          mark wiggans

You might consider using SQL Reporting services. There is an excellent guide on how to do this in the content sharing zone.

Custom Reports with SQL Reporting Services

It blows my mind how such a robust application with all that rich and detailed database information doesn't provide a sufficient reporting system.  Even programs of this type that are less than half as detailed, can generate reports that have both graphs and data on the same page.... forcing users of SW to customize their own reports through 3rd party reporting programs (Crystal Reports for example) is ridiculous - not to mention a massive headache.

denny.lecompte

It blows my mind how such a robust application with all that rich and detailed database information doesn't provide a sufficient reporting system. 

While you could stand in amazement that we haven't gotten around to upgrading our reports, you might also stand in amazement at how many things we have been able to upgrade over the last couple of years -- without changing the price of the product.  My point is that we have limited resources (like everyone) and we have to make choices.  We have chosen to focus on some other areas because those areas have been in higher demand by customers.  While we absolutely intend to provide graphs in reports in a future release, we've waited because there are alternatives like SQL Reporting Services.  For other features, there have been no alternatives. 

I realize that the explanation doesn't make the problem better, I'm hoping that it does provide some insight into our decison about the timing of delivering this feature.