3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2008 3:54 PM by simonpt

Trouble Importing Hosts file - list devices by name

Hi All,

<P>I've just installed IPMonitor and have a host file of around 950 devices to add. When I choose discovery and 'hosts file import', i want the devices to be listed by name, rather than IP address. It only seems to import them as IP addresses no matter how i modify the hosts file. Obviously to rename 950 devices manually would be very time consuming.

<p>Also, i don't really need the devices scanned, as i only want to setup ping monitors for each one, is there a way to bypass this?

<p>Finally, some of the devices i need to add are down, and as such don;t get added by the scanner, is there a way of adding them in anyway?

<P>Thanks!

• Re: Trouble Importing Hosts file - list devices by name
          mdiotte

Hi All,

<P>I've just installed IPMonitor and have a host file of around 950 devices to add. When I choose discovery and 'hosts file import', i want the devices to be listed by name, rather than IP address. It only seems to import them as IP addresses no matter how i modify the hosts file. Obviously to rename 950 devices manually would be very time consuming.

ipMonitor uses the host file to populate the list of IP's it will scan, the discovery will look up the names when scanning each device so you should not have to rename them.

<p>Also, i don't really need the devices scanned, as i only want to setup ping monitors for each one, is there a way to bypass this?

To add monitors via the discovery in ipMonitor you have to let the device be scanned, otherwise you would have to add monitors manually.  However there is a feature called "smart monitor settings" you will see when the servers are being scanned that allows you to choose what monitors should be created by default for each device.  You could remove all recommendations other than the Ping monitor. 

<p>Finally, some of the devices i need to add are down, and as such don;t get added by the scanner, is there a way of adding them in anyway?

You can add devices manually using the "Add new Device" option in the devices tab of the ipMo
           nitor interface. When adding the device you may choose "Add device immediately without scanning".