4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2008 10:28 AM by dmendezckpt

Interface Max Out

I have a DS3 in my Site and a Cisco 3845. The DS3 is connected via Ethernet. How do I set the limitations on the outgoing Interface to Max Out at 45Mbps even though its connected 100Mbps link.

D

• Re: Interface Max Out
          kweise
          Are you wanting to change how the interface speed shows up in Orion or are you wanting to know how to change how the router reports the interface speed?

You can manually change the interface speed in Orion in the Interface Details window by checking the Custom Bandwidth check box and enter your custom transmit and receive bandwidth.

If you want to change how the router reports the interface speed, use the "bandwidth" command in config-if mode.

Router (config-if)#bandwidth ?
          <1-10000000> Bandwidth in kilobits

What would be suggested , Changing it in Orion or the Router.

D

kweise
                  It depends on your environment and how  you are doing your routing.  If you are using a dynamic routing protocol (ospf, eigrp, etc.) the bandwidth command can influence routing decisions, since the bandwidth metric is used for route cost calculations.  Since this is a DS3 connection, I'm guessing this is your outbound Internet connection or WAN connection.  For those types of connections, I normally want the router to have knowledge of the correct outbound bandwidth, so I set it on the router.  If you aren't comfortable (or just don't want to) change the router, you can set the interface speed in Orion.