1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2008 8:24 PM by jtimes

Trap deletion error...

skierjmh

We seem to be getting this a bunch, on the order of one every 5min in the event log. We have been trying to truncate traps after 7 days due to the amount traps we receive. SQL 2k5 Standard server is separate - anyone else ever seen this?

Event Type:    Warning
      Event Source:    TrapService
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    1027
      Date:        9/17/2008
      Time:        4:09:41 PM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:    ORION-POLLER
      Description:
      There was an error deleting old message from the database
      Error Detail-Transaction (Process ID 112) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• Re: Trap deletion error...
          jtimes

Yes I see it from time to time...

Event Type: Warning
          Event Source: TrapService
          Event Category: None
          Event ID: 1027
          Date:  09/05/2008
          Time:  6:01:46 PM
          User:  N/A
          Computer: BillyBadGuy (Not really my server name)
          Description:
          There was an error deleting old message from the database
          Error Detail-Transaction (Process ID 172) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Happens when the Trap message rate goes sky high and usually its a device or a couple getting ready to fall off the proverbial cliff.  The older 3Coms hubs running StarTek code seem to do that alot.  You might want to plow thru your traps a weed out the informational or usless flooding messages with a discard rule, then they won't attempt to do a db write should take a while until you get it sorted out, but a good investment of time (at least I think so)