This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trap deletion error...

FormerMember
FormerMember

We seem to be getting this a bunch, on the order of one every 5min in the event log. We have been trying to truncate traps after 7 days due to the amount traps we receive. SQL 2k5 Standard server is separate - anyone else ever seen this?

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    TrapService
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1027
Date:        9/17/2008
Time:        4:09:41 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    ORION-POLLER
Description:
There was an error deleting old message from the database
Error Detail-Transaction (Process ID 112) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at go.microsoft.com/.../events.asp.

• Yes I see it from time to time...

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: TrapService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1027
    Date:  09/05/2008
    Time:  6:01:46 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: BillyBadGuy (Not really my server name)
    Description:
    There was an error deleting old message from the database
    Error Detail-Transaction (Process ID 172) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Happens when the Trap message rate goes sky high and usually its a device or a couple getting ready to fall off the proverbial cliff.  The older 3Coms hubs running StarTek code seem to do that alot.  You might want to plow thru your traps a weed out the informational or usless flooding messages with a discard rule, then they won't attempt to do a db write should take a while until you get it sorted out, but a good investment of time (at least I think so)