This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

mistake in Admin Guide?

On page 59 of the ipMonitor Admin Guide are listed three ways one can view the state of a monitor. The second option reads:

"Access the Monitors List within the Configuration Interface......"

I cannot find any link to the Monitors List on the Configuration Interface. However, if I click on the Devices tab and select the Dashboard view, I can see a resource for "Monitors, Grouped by Properties". Is this what the guide is referring to?

Or, have I missed something on the Configuration tab?

Thanks.

•  Hi, borgan.

You haven't missed a thing. That's a bug in the ipMonitor Admin Guide, and I've marked it as something for us to correct in the next version.

You can view the state of monitors by:

• Clicking the name of any device listed on the Devices tab, or in any web resource on the Dashboard tab.
    • Expanding the monitor tree in the Monitors, Grouped by Properties resource in the Dashboard tab.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

• Thanks for the reply Roger, but I continue to be confused by the Admin Guide section on Monitors from a navigation standpoint. For instance, where exactly is the "Monitor List" ? Can you post a screen shot?

• That's the bug. The Devices tab in ipMonitor 9.x replaced the old Monitor List functions from the previous versions.

To navigate your monitors:

1. Expand the Default SmartGroups group to reveal the pre-defined smartgroups.
    2. Click the smartgroup that represents the monitors you want to list.

• Thanks for your reply and patience Roger. One other question/rpoblem. I don't see a way to sort a list of monitors in the way described on page 61 either. If I click on the column headers, no sort options such as Name, Status, or Type appear. Is the sort option actually available anymore?
  • Roger, on the Edit Monitor page, under Monitor Status, is State Change (from the Admin guide) now called Duration, or is Duration shown somewhere else?

•  You have it exactly right. State Change is now called Duration.

• It's my pleasure, and you're quite welcome.  The sort order is fixed, I'm afraid. Clicking the column headers allows you to organize the columns, but has no effect on the sorting order which is as follows:

1. status
    2. display name
    3. type
  • Roger,

Do you know of any examples (step by step) of using the Mass Edit for Monitor properties? Better yet, are there plans to publish any tutorials on the Solarwinds website for this and other management tasks related to ipMonitor?

• No, but that doesn't mean I can't write one for you real quick.

As an example, let's say I'm browsing in the Devices tab, and I see three monitors that have "ipMonitor" in the display name. I want to change the "ipMonitor" in the display names of those monitors to "Applesauce".

1. Click the checkboxes next to the monitors with "ipMonitor" in the name.

2. Click Edit, then click Monitor Properties.

We're now at the Mass Edit: Properties page, where we see that the SmartGroup filter rules section reads:

Add monitors, where property ID matches regular expression ^(956737|8465893|8936484)$.

That seemingly random jumble of numbers represent the ID numbers of the three monitors that we asked ipMonitor to modify. We leave those alone, and go to the Replace Using Change Rules section.

1. Click Click Here to Select a Property

2. Click Display Name from the properties list.

3. Click Overwrite in the list, and click Sub-String Replace.

4. Type ipMonitor in the field that appears after Sub-String Replace.

5. Type Applesauce in the Replace with field.

6. Click Preview.

7. If the Preview results are satisfactory, click Next to apply the changes.

• Thanks for all the work Roger. Could I also use the replace function to remove some text from device labels? For example, say I have multiple devices that all have some common text in MIDDLE of the Display Name. How could I designate that text to be removed ?